1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas newspaper becomes online-only publication

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Oz, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Is this the first newspaper making the switch? I got an e-mail with a link from my sister about the Kansas City Kansan -- established in 1921, circulation of about 7,000 -- going online-only, starting Jan. 10.

http://www.kansascitykansan.com/news/x1621229768/Kansan-to-cease-print-publication

"The new KansasCityKansan.com Web site will offer greater opportunity for reader participation through comments and posting their own news and announcements. Businesses and civic organizations, for example, will be able to post their own press releases. Readers will find it easy to share community photos or their own stories and opinions.

"This is not going to be a newspaper turned into an online product," Kansan General Manager Drew Savage said. "It's going to have a completely different look."

---

I'm not sure what to think about this. On the one hand, I understand change is going to come, and that eliminating the print product cuts down big time on costs. On the other hand, I'm not sure whether newspapers who would want to make a change like this now will find success right now.

Thoughts?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Is this our first d_b of 2009?

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/65317/

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Damn. I saw the headline and thought the newspaper died. Kinda vague thread topic, but my mistake.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

OM god is this guy in for an awakening. "Reader participation through comments" oh boy will that be fun. I get to criticize the writer anonymously and post libelous material.'
    Businesses can post their own press releases? Why would anybody click on those.
    This paper is dead.
    He makes it sound like it'll be a fun club for "readers." He's selling it as a fun club instead of a newspaper.
    Bye bye Kansas City Kansan. My god.

BTW just checked the website. This nugget was in the main story:

"The Kansan staff is being reduced from eight people to four as a cost savings measure during the transition.
    Owens will work closely with the staff over the coming months to help with the transition to an online-only approach to news. He said the new site should quickly see its audience double within months of the switch.
    "More and more businesses realize that in order to reach their potential customers, they need a vibrant and active online vehicle to help them get their message out," Owens said. "This new site will not only excite and please readers, but will also meet advertiser’s needs better."

No surprise, staff cut in half for this website that will generate absolutely no traffic.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oz: All he does is post d_bs. :D :D

6. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

larry whitesides got his start on the kansan.

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

What is a d_b?

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

douche bag ;)

9. Fredrick

With only four staff members, this is a prime area for some out of work reporters (I assume Kansas City Star has had some layoffs like everybody else) to beat the living shit out of the Kansas City Kansan newspaper. Four laid off reporters and/or photographers and one ad salesperson now can open up a small office in Kansas City and effectively beat the crap out of this newspaper website.
    Think about it ... all the Kansas City Kansan has over any out of work reporters is a printing press. Now that the printing press is out of business anybody can go in and defeat the Kansas City Kansan for ad dollars.
    Isn't that the area rejuvenated by the new racetrack?
    Anybody for moving to Kansas City and becoming the new newspaper of choice in Kansas City Kansas??? You think four out of work star reporters can't defeat whatever dis-spirited staff remains at the Kansan? Or hell, the four people cut by the Kansan could probably do it themselves. They'd have more incentive, anyway, to get even.

10. clutchcargo

This is one more example of thin-skinned folks overreacting to someone posting a subject that is already elsewhere on the site. I say, lay off, man. It's easy to overlook something that has already been posted. To jump all over somebody for such an oversight is ridiculous.

I enjoy this web site a lot, but I see a lot of wasted posts here, some foolish infighting, etc. to let a repeat post ruin my day.

11. Fredrick

I really would love some input on my post about laid off individuals actually putting out a better "paper" than the 4 people left at the Kansan.
    If I lived in the area and was laid off by the Kansas City Star, I'd certainly want to give that a go.
    Four people? I will bet you my four could beat their four.

12. clutchcargo

Find somebody in town with some bucks willing to sponsor you, then give it a shot. It shouldn't take a seven-figure investment---something low six figures. Even in these trying times, there are "angels" out there always willing to give a shot at competing in the media market, as long as you can show at least a semblance of a profit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.