1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas-Kansas State women's game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Fortunately, my Jayhawks feel the need to use "lady," though I can see why despite Title IX and all the advances for women's sports programs like Tennessee would be reluctant to give up the modifier in athletics. They would lose too much money, because then you could wear any old Tennessee shirt to the game. Instead, when going to see Pat Summitt's team, they entice people to buy the Lady Vols merchandise because it's different, because it's the brand recognition. Not saying I agree with it, but I can see the school's perspective there.

Texas Tech has a unique nickname with Red Raiders, and yet some of its women's programs go with Lady Raiders, nevermind that Lady Raiders could be any number of programs across the country. That's another problem I have with this "lady" issue.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That's more their decision to not use "Red" in the women's TTU sports team names. I guess Lady Red Raiders would be considered cumbersome.

Could be worse. Could be the Stephen F. Austin Ladyjacks.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

It's their decision, but it's a stupid decision just the same.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Most college women's teams north of the Mason-Dixon have dropped "Lady" from their official nicknames.

In the Big Ten, only Penn State uses "Lady" in its official name (and the wbb program is the only one at the school that uses "Lady Lions" -- all of the other women's programs use Nittany Lions).

With high schools, it was our paper's policy to NEVER use the term "Lady" in a nickname, because it was anachronistic and, to be honest, most schools use the modifier out of tradition, not any official sense of wanting to set the girls programs apart. I've only seen one or two schools that are really insistent on using the term "Lady" to identify their girls teams (and they're like Tennessee, where the girls program is a perennial 18-win team and state threat, while the boys program is mediocre at best).

The only time the "no-Lady" policy seemed semi-stupid was when we would cover games involving the Greenwood (Lady) Woodmen. Some schools in Indiana use different nicknames -- Bellmont HS in Indiana is the Squaws (instead of Braves), Scottsburg HS is the Warriorettes (yuck). Greenwood probably could use one, too :).

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

We have Indians and Maidens at one high school. Another has Cadets and Kaydettes.

For a long time, I stood squarely in the camp that I would NOT use "Lady" with a team name. It's just been in recent years where I came around to thinking I don't have the right to make that call if the school has already made it.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I've quietly tried to eliminate "Lady" from the nicknames at the high school where I teach/coach.

Of course, it's been somewhat futile, given I own about 8 pieces of clothing that say "Lady Dragons" on them.

The girls on the team just assume all girls teams have "Lady" as a part of their name, so they just add it.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Don't even make that concession Oz.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

OK, you've convinced me. I won't. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted