1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas-Kansas State women's game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Feb 18, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't know why I stopped on Fox Sports, but this KU-KSU women's game has been awfully good.
    Just went to double overtime, and it sounds like it has started back up, so back to the game.
    But if any of ya'll have FSN, I'd encourage you to take a look.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'll take "Thread titles I thought I would never see" for 400, Alex.

3. JayFarrar

No kidding, I pretty much hate women's basketball, but I was flipping through and stopped.
    For the curious, the second OT didn't match the first as Kansas pulled away for an 8-point win, 82-74. Kansas freshwoman Something Something had a career high with 25 points and was 6-of-7 from the 3-point line. Kansas guard Something Mosley just missed the triple double with 21 ( maybe 22) points, 14 rebounds and nine assists.
    The Kansas win snapped Kansas State's 16-game winning streak against the Lady Jayhawks or Jayhawkettes or whatever they are called.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

It was Danielle McCray who had all those 3s, and Mosley was amazing. Stopped the streak against the Wildcats, who really don't have much to cheer about these days against Kansas. At least, I hope I can say the same after Monday.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

They're just Jayhawks, exactly like the men's team. Just ask former coach Marion Washington. You did not want to say Lady Jayhawks in front of her. Hell, I got a few dirty looks for asking questions about man-to-man defense. She called it person-to-person.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I stopped and watched the game as well. I can watch women's basketball more than my pals, and if it's a good one, I will watch it.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What Jake said. If you ask a woman whether she's a Republican or Democrat, she won't say she's a Lady Republican or Lady Democrat. No need to add "lady" to any sports teams, regardless of what each program decides on its own.

Saw some of this game before work, and now I wish I would have DVRd it. Covered a lot of those Wildcats playing big minutes during their prep days.

8. JayFarrar

But she might say she's in the Women's Congressional Caucus and I agree with Pat Summitt, her team is the Lady Vols. The men's team is the Vols.
    Given it being Fox, I'd guess that they would replay this game during the night. I'd check your local listings.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Pat Summitt can call her program whatever she wants. If I were an SE, my style would be no "lady" references, ever, in my section. She won't change her mind, I won't change mine.

10. subhead

subhead Member

Agreed.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'd feel guilty about threadjacking, but it's not like the original topic has much of a shelf life.

If a team wants to call itself Lady Whatever, then that's what we call it. It's not up to us to make judgments about what people self-identify as. That's their name; we have to deal with it, even if we're rolling our eyes about it. Hell, if entertainment writers could spend years writing "the artist formerly known as Prince", then we can swallow our opinions long enough to type out Lady Tigers or Lady Vols or Lady Sperm or whatever they'd like to be called. Otherwise, what's to keep me from calling the L.A. Dodgers "Brooklyn", because I don't think they should have moved?

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Wait, did you just say swallow and Lady Sperm in the same sentence? ???

Draft saved Draft deleted