1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas Forward Julian Wright

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Jan 29, 2007.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

My H.S. basketball coach is a lot like Bob Knight in mannerisms (probably because they are the same age). In my sophomore year, we were playing our crosstown rivals in a post-season district game in front of a standing room partisan crowd. Our point guard stole the ball, the other guard and the center starts the 3-on-1 fastbreak down the floor. The PG flips it to the center, who was uncertain whether or not he was going to dunk it or lay it up, proceeded to do both as he went up in the air.

He went up, tried to dunk the ball, but the ball hit the front end of the rim, the ball goes flying in the air over to the other end of the court and he slams flat on his back on the court. Coach went into his Bob Knight mode, benched the kid, cursing him out as he got up off the floor, calling him motherfucker and the like.

The following day, my cousin tells me what it sounded like on radio with the announcer calling it:

"...steal by Robinson, Galloway and Bonefas heading down the court, Robinson flips it to Bonefas for the dun....OH MY GOD!!! HE BROKE HIS BACK!!!!!!"

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Yeah, because Kansas is the only team that "chokes" in the NCAA tournament...

3. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Bradley maybe?

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Except KU's choked recently to the Bradley Braves and Bucknell Bison. Last I checked, Southern Illinois doesn't have the double-B thing going for it.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Saw something very similar the other day with the low-major team I cover. Kid went to windmill from the side and by the time it was over, the ball had clanked off the front of the rim and he was lying on the ground.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Without having gone back to the game-day stories, does anybody know if Wright talked about what exactly happened on that play?

I'm curious as to his explanation.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Bill Self made him off-limits, according to this sidebar dedicated to the missed dunk on the Lawrence Journal-World Web site.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2007/jan/28/wrights_misslam_symbolic/?sports_columns

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I hope that's a column and not a sidebar.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is. I used the wrong word above.

10. Norman Stansfield

That is so lame. He missed a dunk in a 23-point win. What's the big deal?

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

There's a whole thread here dedicated to talking about it. It was on every ESPN show Monday. It must have been a pretty big deal.

12. Norman Stansfield

No, I'm saying what was the big deal that Bill Self didn't make him available.

If you read the rest of this thread, I have been interested in this topic from the start.

Draft saved Draft deleted