1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas City whiffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A Kansas City radio station whiffed on the Big Ten invites to three schools, and now a TV station there, KCTV5, has breaking news that UT and A&M are headed to the Big Ten.

What's with the horrible reporting coming from there? I know the company that runs KCTV, Internet Broadcasting, is just about getting hits, but this is getting ridculous.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

"Pay no attention to the man behind the screen ... the great and powerful Oz has spoken!"
  3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

There are about 1,000,000 different sources on the expansion talk. Everyone has someone they trust. Not all of them actually know what they are talking about.
    Simple as that.
  4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

For as good as the newspaper sports section used to be there, I was never impressed with the sportscasters in either TV or radio. There's a lot of clowns on the broadcast side in KC.
  5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

In most places, but especially Kansas City, wait until the print media reports it before you believe it.
  6. Liut

Liut Active Member

Keitzman was still defending WHB Radio's reporting, which Stitch referred to, two days ago. No surprise, I suppose, since he's an investor as well as host.

FWIW, kudos to Sam Mellinger. He's doing very good work, IMHO. Jason Whitlock has seemed to be MIA recently. Insert wisecracks here.........................
  7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Whitlock said he hadn't commented on it because he was on vacation, according to a tweet or whatever it is the New York Times would prefer to refer to it. [/crosspost]
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Let's be logical. The most likely sources for TV stations in Kansas City are from KU, K-State and Missouri. Those are three places on the outside looking in at this story, so are least likely to provide accurate information.
  9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The print media in KC isn't running this crap, and they supposedly have the same KU/KState/Missouri "sources"
  10. NBrom

NBrom New Member

As a KC resident, the content and quality has gone down significantly at the Star, but that's because of forced attrition, obviously. No sense beating the McClatchy issue anymore.

However, they're the place to go for this. Sam's column was great and with DeArmond and Kerkhoff on the beat there's not going to be an issue of the Star getting "scooped" by dingbat Keitzman.

I can't underscore enough how much of a blowhard Keitzman is. He essentially contradicted his "report" from earlier about Nebraska and Missouri and really didn't address the fact that he was backing off the statement. He's the perfect guy for talk radio -- assuming smarts aren't involved -- because he can connect the dots on anything and create ridiculous theories. As a motorsports guy, it especially amuses me to hear Keitzman attempt to talk racing on Fridays. It's an embarrassment, but the dude's proud of his race knowledge and loves to offer his suggestions on how to improve racing.

Therefore, if it's from KC and it's not by any of the Star's top two guys on the beat or Sam, then it's not true at this point
Draft saved Draft deleted