1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas City Star's bizarre approach to a staff reduction

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PaperClip529, Dec 12, 2012.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The thing that pisses me off is that if some governmental entity or big public company handled their layoffs like this and the paper found out, there would probably be a 5-part series about shitty business practices and employees' rights and all that stuff.

Just one more brick in the "do as we say, not as we do" wall of newspapers these days.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. I ain't gonna be surprised when it happens.

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Absolutely awful. Disgusting for so many reasons.

4. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Romenesko's headline was misleading.

Only one employee is making the decision.

And when newspapers )or any big business) offers buyouts, is it not understood that one employee's decision to not take the buyout may put another on the chopping block?

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Even accounting for the despicable nature of how one can lose a job, this is just stupid. Just fucking stupid.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. That was my point earlier.

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

If both survive the lirpa . . .combat will continue, with the ahn-woon!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XQbBxIHbHQ

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You've got people shooting up malls and movie theaters for idiotic reasons. Don't you think something like this could set off the wrong person?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"May" put another on the chopping block. That's the key.

Kind of like putting a blank in one shooter's gun on a firing squad so he can think, "Maybe I didn't kill anybody."

10. Lots of things set layoffs, or this person vs. that person, in motion -- almost always without one person realizing this. That's what makes this particularly loathsome: that these reporters had to think about it.

Just whack me. Don't make me think about how you're going to do it and all the reasons it might've been different.

11. Mike Fannin is running a great shop, right? I know he's beloved by some here, but this is garbage and he's a puke if this goes down.

It's time to call out these cocksuckers.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I know a paper where a woman with Round 2 of cancer was laid off in the first wave.

Draft saved Draft deleted