1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas City Chiefs have the worst fanbase

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Jun 22, 2017.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Browns fans still show up to watch the games. Case closed. They win the award for both the best and the worst fans.

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

First regular-season Cowboys game I ever went to was against the Chiefs (at Texas Stadium). Had our friends from Australia with us, so we went full tilt with the good parking pass for the tailgate, etc. Wasn't much of a season for the Cowboys, so there was A LOT of red in the stadium. Apparently a Chiefs game in Dallas is a big road-trip opportunity.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Must be all those old Dallas Texans fans.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I wonder if traveling for a couple of Royals postseason runs, and there was a lot of that going on, cut down on how much money people spent on the Chiefs the past few years. Because, like you said, there used to be a good amount of red at the road games.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Even before the Belichick era, Pats fans traveled well, at least during the second half of seasons to places warmer than here. The 2-14 teams would get like 5000 for a game in Miami.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

8. Michael_ Gee

In 2004, after the Red Sox World Series, there were markedly fewer New England fans at Super Bowl 39 than at the two previous ones and subsequent ones. I don't think it's just money. People have only so much emotional capital to invest in sports.

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The Pats were also playing the Eagles, who are in a larger market and hadn't been in a Super Bowl in over 20 years. I remember hearing on sports radio that Philly fans were mortgaging their homes to go to the game. I tend to dismiss that type of claim, but at least it reflects the enthusiasm.

10. Michael_ Gee

That had a lot to do with it, too. Pats fans were outnumbered like 10 to 1 by Bears fans at Super Bowl XX, because those Bears were a national mania.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Chiefs fans don't travel to SD and Oakland...what a shock. Also, this line:

"The Chiefs fill their stadium but at relatively low price."

So, in other words, fans aren't gouged (relatively speaking) at Arrowhead.

Bizarre study.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

So the Chiefs are running some sort of charity where they charge less than the ticket prices people would actually pay? Teams aim to sell tickets at the point that maximizes revenues. That point is based on demand. There is no 'gouging.'

Draft saved Draft deleted