1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas City Advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Iron_chet, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh, North Carolina-style with the vinegar-based sauce isn't good either. Memphis-style is the only way BBQ should be prepared.

(Though if you like those kinds of BBQ, more power to you.)

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Your problem -- both of you -- first and foremost, is that you didn't go to Bryant's. And that makes it your fault. Smoked turkey, smoked brisket, ribs, pulled pork, fries prepared in pure lard (at least they were at one point), sauce with just the right amount of bite... you missed out.
    And the sad part is, if you went to the Gates east of town, you were just a few miles away from Bryant's. For shame.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Been to Bryant's. Still not as good as Memphis-style to me.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Don't forget the flies, dd68.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm with Inky on this one. Are St. Louis-style ribs the same as Memphis ribs? I prefer those over KC style too.

Sticky Fingers' dry rub in Chattanooga is damn fine too.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Come on, you can say you prefer one style the most -- and we all have our preferences -- buy to say KC BBQ is not worth eating? That's patently ridiculous. NC is my least favorite style, but I'll eat that stuff three meals a day while I'm there.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

The best BBQ I've ever had was in Jacksonville. Don't know what style, but it was soooo good.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's worth eating, I suppose. But I will never seek it out.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Thats ok. More for me. And Whitlock.

10. ArnoldBabar

You do NOT want to show up after Whitlock. This isn't the kind of thing they can whip up in a hurry if they run out.

11. ArnoldBabar

For your interests, I'd say hit the NLM first, But the other is probably cool as well.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A word to the wise: The Negro Leagues Museum is not open on Mondays. I keep forgetting that during my annual trip to KC, and I always figure I'll go on Monday before my flight out...but no luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted