1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas AD meets with football team about Mark Mangino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

KU lands leftovers in Big 12 country too. That's why they're usually 8-4 at best.

Anybody who thinks a coach coming from a Mountain West/WAC/CUSA school can replicate his success at a Big 12 school with the same caliber of player he's bringing to his current program is kidding themselves.

If you need proof, take a look at what's going on in Boulder.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Mason of course went to Minnesota and spent his entire tenure there alternately pissing and moaning about facilities, fan support, and every other thing under the sun, and threatening to jump to other jobs -- several in the same conference -- before the Gopher brass got fed up with it and told him to hit the bricks.

3. Armchair_QB

Of course what was never talked about regarding his pissing and moaning was the fact he was right. The Dome sucked for college football and even with a new stadium fans can't be bothered to fill the place for Big 10 games.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The weight may or may not affect his mood. But young, old, fat, thin... if all you do is yell, scream and berate, all the time... it wont' take long for you to be tuned out.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Hawkins left his football brain in Boise, that's the problem at CU.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I thought it was a great column by Whitlock.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Difference would be Patterson is a much better head coach than Mangino. They might recruit the same leftovers, but Patterson would do more and win more consistently with them, I have no doubt about that. He wouldn't turn into Mack Brown or Bob Stoops, but he would be an improvement from Mangino.

8. Armchair_QB

And you're basing this on what exactly?

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

An obese head coach is in trouble for losing five in a row, poking his finger in a player's chest and yelling.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And you're basing your opinion on what exactly?

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt KU would fire Mangino for a 5-7 season, which was considered pretty good at KU until Mangino came around. Like someone else already posted, the forward pass was a novelty the last time Kansas had a coach win as much as Mangino.

But his temper has been an issue before. I think a player that goes running to the AD because the coach poked him in the chest needs to grow a pair, but I'm wondering if there isn't a lot more to this.

As for Patterson and KU, this team he has at TCU this year would probably be the second best team in the Big 12. Hell, they may be better than Texas, but we'll never know. He should be able to recruit the same kind of players to Kansas and if he did he might be in the hunt for the national championship, which he won't win at TCU.

If KU does fire Mangino it is in a much better position to hire a coach then it was when they hired the big man. Back then KU had no AD, no recent football success, no facilities, no money and and maybe two or three legit Big 12-caliber players on the roster.

All of those things have changed.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't know if Glen Mason gets the credit he deserves with all the talk about KU never winning games. The guy did have a 10-win season and a No. 7 AP ranking to finish the 1995 season. KU hadn't had a winning record since 1981 and had gone 1-9-1 in 1987, the season before Mason got hired. The Jayhawks went 1-10 in 1988 and he steadily built that program up. Mangino didn't have near the rebuilding job Mason did.

Draft saved Draft deleted