1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas AD meets with football team about Mark Mangino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Nov 17, 2009.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

At some point A&M will become relevant again because it is Texas and it is football and the boosters will spend the money necessary to make it relevant. It might take a while, and they might strike out over and over again but they will keep throwing money at it until they stumble into the right situation and coach.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

No - I didn't say that - but the guy has been to a BCS bowl and they seem to be better than they were in year's past.

Some jobs are tough to win at for a variety of reasons and if a place like Kansas, which let's face it is at best - behind Texas, Okla, Okla State, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas Tech and perahaps even Colorado -- the seventh best program in the Big 12, should think long and hard about firing a guy who has at least put it on the map, that's all I am saying.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Texas A and M is either going to have to unload the armored truck and hire away a Saban, Miles, Meyer, Tressell or Carroll or hope to get very lucky with someone else, and for Stoops to leave the conference and Mack Brown to retire.
    Notre Dame and Texas A and M have the same problem, not many kids today remember when they were national powers, but at least the Dome has a TV network to remind people of what the Irish once were.

Kansas shouldn't settle for mediocrity, but should understand that Texas and Oklahoma put more resources into their programs than Kansas does, have a greater legacy and a better recruiting pool. Even if Kansas gets the top 10 high school players to stay home, odds are that Missouri's top 10, Oklahoma's top 10 and Texas's top 10 will all be better than theirs.
    Throw in the knowledge that Kansas will always be seen as a basketball school and it makes it tougher.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I'd think that a school like Kansas should be able to compete for the Big 12 North every year, winning it at least every couple years. If not, given the state of the Big 12 North most of the past decade and a half, that's mediocre. What makes Missouri or Colorado a better program? They didn't even win the North when they went to that BCS Bowl.

5. He's also bald and his feet stink to high heaven. That's three strikes as far as I'm concerned.

Oh - he also raped Buck's grandparents

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Good point. I bet A&M just stops playing football here in a few years.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It already did.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A&M's almost certainly going to go after Tommy Tuberville, though Virginia may get him first. I still think Patterson's most logical move is to Colorado.

As for Kansas, Sumlin would be a good hire. But would they hire another former Stoops assistant (which Mangino was)?

Then again, Kansas did try to hire Dennis Franchione after his first season at Alabama (when they hired Mangino), so maybe they'll pursue Patterson, too. Patterson was Fran's DC at TCU and stayed behind when Fran went to Bama (another reason A&M is unlikely to go after Patterson).

EDIT: Asking this because I don't know, but would it make any difference to Kansas folks that Patterson is a KSU guy? (Though he's not a Bill Snyder guy).

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, it might actually BE part of the issue with Mangino (and Weis, while we're at it).

Suppose you're a recruited Division I athlete. Even BAD Division I athletes are better athletes than 98.95% of the public at large, and have usually been so since they were kids. How are you going to react when somebody like Mangino or Weis, who can't waddle 40 yards in 20 seconds, jumps on your shit, and starts screaming that you've got to get faster, stronger, quicker, etc etc.

Of course the same is true about Bowden/Paterno -- they need wheelchairs to cover 40 yards, but players know at one time they WERE outstanding athletes, and they have a long record of consistent success, so they take them a lot more seriously. Mangino and Weis have no such comparable record, so my guess (well, it's more than a guess) is players have a lot lower threshold of shit they're willing to take out of them before they start complaining to the powers-that-be.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If anything, I think that might be an issue in recruiting, but less so once they actually get on campus.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I think it comes into play in both instances.

Of course, every coach is Mr. Nice Guy during the recruiting dance, then there's some adjustment shock when real practices start and the same friendly guy is scorching your ear about working out, lifting weights, etc etc. I just think players have a lower tolerance for it from coaches who are catastrophically out of shape themselves.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't dispute your point at all - you make a legit point, not a joke.
    I remember reading something from Weis years ago. I believe he had the same surgery as Al Roker had and it didn't go as well, had some serious complications. He came out and ripped Roker for not warning people of the serious dangers of the surgery.
    He said he didn't think he'd get a serious look for a head coaching job as a "fat guy."

Friedgen said similar stuff over the years - of course, he loses a bunch of weight (more than 100 pounds) and is having a brutal year, may end up out of a job.

All that said, I don't think Mangino's weight suddenly became the issue. I'd sure like to know what's really going on.

Speaking of weight, Lew Perkins at one point dropped a shitton of weight. Don't know if he had surgery or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted