1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kansas AD meets with football team about Mark Mangino

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Nov 17, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess Mangino's contract doesn't have a weight clause (rimshot).

I don't see Kansas getting an upgrade - but if Mangino's contract is up for renewal in a year or two and you don't see an extension in the future - go ahead and cut the cord.

Programs like Kansas are in a real bind though - the coaches at non-BCS schools that are top 10, top 15 programs have a better shot at competing staying where they are. Though Houston's Sumerlin should get a look. Otherwise you're looking at another assistant from a top program. But honestly, no coach is going to equalize the financial and other advantages Oklahoma, Okie State, Texas and Nebraska enjoy in that conference. (though Bill Snyder comes close).

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Weight jokes! Hi-LAR-ious! So funny, so original. Because, you know, that's the issue with this guy.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hell I think the guy is a good coach and am sick of college football coaches seemingly, if not literally, hired because they "fit the suit." I understand it's a job that requires selling the school and projecting an image, whether recruiting or raising money, but you would think winning games would count for something.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think Kansas is a tough place to win in football and what Mangino has done is pretty remarkable in many ways. I know that Kansas State has risen from the ashes but my goodness even they have come back to earth some.

I just think expectations at certain places need to be examined.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Gary Patterson should be very judicious about other gigs. Think Dan Hawkins made the right move in leaving Boise for Colorado not too long after the recruiting-visit scandal in Boulder?

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Kansas will keep a coach with a .500 record for a few seasons, but not a coach with a .500 record and players that slap around the beloved basketball team.

7. zagoshe

You think Patterson could be holding out and waiting for Texas A&M?

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Upon first impression, I thought KU would be insane to get rid of him, but after digging a little deeper...

The guy is in his 8th year. He's had 3 winning seasons, and KU's appearance in the Orange Bowl was a pretty big sham. With the 12 game schedule, it's not difficult to put up six or seven wins at a big-six school when four of your games are over directional rent-a-wins. If he's a jerk that's pissing off the wrong people, I could see why they would get rid of him.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The Aggies are a lost cause. Moving from TCU to A&M at this point would be a terrible career move.

10. zagoshe

Really? I'm curious why you'd say that - they seem to have a huge following, a lot of facilities and money, a good recruiting base -certainly they could pay him a ton of money

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm sure they could pay him well, zag, but A&M has really fallen off the map, and I just don't see the program becoming nationally relevant again. In Texas right now, TCU is light years ahead of A&M when it comes to consistently winning. If Patterson is holding out for the best gig, he can do a whole lot better than the Aggies, which will be getting their asses handed to them by the Big 12's better programs for the foreseeable future.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

So Kansas should settle for mediocrity?

Draft saved Draft deleted