1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kafka Goes to Alabama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Sep 11, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Jill Simpson, an Alabama lawyer who signed an affidavit saying she overheard a Republican political operative connect the prosecution of Mr. Siegelman to Karl Rove, will be questioned under oath this week by investigators for the House Judiciary Committee. The chairman of that committee, Representative John Conyers Jr., Democrat of Michigan, has asked the Justice Department to turn over its documents in the case.

The department has refused his request, saying in a letter last week to the committee that “we want to avoid any perception that the conduct of our criminal investigations and prosecutions is subject to political influence.”

On Monday, Mr. Conyers called the department’s position “unacceptable,” saying of its reasoning, “This concern should lead to precisely the opposite result.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/11/us/11siegelman.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

2. Pull this thread and the whole DOJ scandal unravels, I think. This is what it was all about.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think where there is smoke there is fire and this justice department--with the machinations of Dick Cheney and Karl Rove behind the scenes--has probably been guilty of this conduct and worse. The one minor problem now is that the Democrats in Congress are jackals, and are not the ones who should be investigating it. They are also really no more clean than any other politicians.

It should be investigated independently. But independent investigations are a farce. The major problem with an independent investigation (probably even moreso than a Congressional investigation) is that the might of the White House and the Justice department is going to be able to stonewall and squelch and hide all of the illegal conduct and they will skate free. An independent investigator, even with millions of dollars, has no teeth and has limited resources compared to what Bush has at his disposal. The beating Clinton's people put on Ken Starr is absolute proof of how ineffectual the current means we have are.

So the bottom line is, the executive branch can act criminally and there isn't a damned thing anyone can really do about it. Unless it is a clear case of Nixon-type criminal behavior, these guys can get away with anything short of outright thuggery and murder (and probably even get away with that in some cases).

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So is your solution to take Rove and Cheney in an alley and beat 'em senseless or what? Lemme get my Superbat.

5. Ragu --
    Please tell me you're not serious. Toothless? Ken Starr?
    The "beating that the Democrats put on Ken Starr"? When was that? He ran amok in Arkansas, throwing people in jail for scandals that had nothing to do (Jim Guy Tucker, Webster Hubbell) with Whitewater. He delivered his report, on a subject way beyond his original mandate, becaue a Democratic AG didn't dare tell him to lay off. His office leaked like a sieve to the prestige press, especially the WaPo and ABC News. They got the impeachment they wanted. They hamstrung the president they were meaning to hamstring from the day he was elected. Starr went off to great gigs. Half his staff are federal judges or federal judges in waiting. The rest are all over the current DOJ.
    Once again, the "they're all bums so what can you do?" argument is the lazy-ass way to toss away a democratic republic.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Soooo. By refusing the request and saying this, "“we want to avoid any perception that the conduct of our criminal investigations and prosecutions is subject to political influence”... that avoids perception...how?

7. The Big Ragu

I'm actually pretty up for that. Best chance at justice we have. Ask starman.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Phil Fulmer has called the NCAA to report Alabama paid off somebody to get Kafka.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Someone must have been telling lies about jgmacg, for without having done anything wrong he and Fenian Bastard were arrested one fine morning.

10. The Big Ragu

Very serious. Read Robert Ray's final report. It didn't exonerate the Clintons. It said they did such a good job of impeding the investigation that nothing could stick. Stonewalling and lying really well are not admirable attributes. The report outright called Hilary Clinton a liar (with regard to several things), said she gave testimony that was factually inaccurate and rolled its eyes at her lost billing records (including reference to a confidential eye witness and two construction workers who saw her carrying them out of the building). Aside from the criminal Hilary Clinton is (much like Karl Rove, when I see evidence like this, I raise my eyebrow, unlike you who chooses your villains based on your political convictions), more importantly, the Ray report criticized Bill Clinton and his White House, saying the investigation never stood a chance and cost a ton more than necessary because of their delays in producing evidence and the"unmeritorious litigation" by the president's lawyers, which severely impeded the investigation's progress. That is exactly what I posted, and I stand by what I said. Ken Starr (or any independent investigator) stands no chance against the might of the executive branch when you have a scumbag president, surrounded by dirty-tricks operatives and a bunch of lawyers doing unscrupulous things. The president can outlie, out maneuver and outspend any investigation and has the ability to make negative things disappear. This applied to Bill Clinton and it applies to George Bush.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

As jgmacg awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect.

12. The Big Ragu

Are you sure you are not really a gigantic insect who is occasionally transformed into jgmacg?

Draft saved Draft deleted