1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kaepernick sits out the anthem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Aug 27, 2016.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Mostly Empty gesture.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Its seems clear his frustrations about police brutality, discrimination against Muslims, and how "woke" he feels about this stuff is not some contract ploy. This has been building for some time.

Colin Kaepernick crushes Donald Trump for his Muslim comments

My father was in the army. My two grandfathers were in the army, and both fought in WWII. My father-in-law was in the army, then the reserves, for 30 years.

I'm not offended at all by this. It's a football game. Denying veterans benefits, running the VA like shit, starting wars for profit based on fake evidence, all that offends me.

It's a football game. A preseason football game. It's ok to value the idea of being an American and still feel like you want reform and want authority figures to stop killing people who look like you in the street for reasons they can't seem to explain.

JC, Ace, swingline and 10 others like this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

"I am not looking for approval. I have to stand up for people that are oppressed. ... If they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right."

Doesn't look like he believes it's his right to avoid the massive ripping, nor does he believe it's his right to play football or get endorsements.

I hate this meme. It's a total non sequitur. I'm sad that Marine lost his legs and I know it is a great sacrifice he made for us, his countrymen. But it has nothing whatsoever to do with Colin Kaepernick. If anything, Kaepernick is simply exercising the rights and freedoms upheld by the sacrifice made by that Marine and his fellow servicemen and women.

Frankly, the message Kaepernick is sending is getting lost because he sucks at football. If that was Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers, he would be lauded as brave and noble for standing up for his beliefs.

Smallpotatoes and Riptide like this.
  4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

"But the real shame is that if more police used Recovery Water to enhance their split-second decision-making capabilities, we wouldn't have nearly as many of these tragedies."

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Russell Wilson is relatively outspoken in his beliefs.

6. bigpern23

I don't disagree. Point?

7. Mr. Sunshine

8. Mr. Sunshine

Has he been lauded as brave and noble?

9. bigpern23

I'd say he's generally lauded as a stand-up guy and moral example for NFL players. He has not taken this particular stand, as Kaepernick has. If he were to do something similar, I don't think he'd face the same negative reaction Kaepernick has faced.

FWIW, Russell is probably regarded as noble as it pertains to his, ahem, relations with Ciara.

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I try very hard to avoid political outrage of all kinds -- it's exhausting. I also try to avoid preseason football of all kinds. It's exhausting and it's bullshit of an even higher concentration than regular season NFL, which is saying something.

But a few thoughts come to mind.

1. Why should I (or anyone) care about the political opinions of the possible/probable (I don't know or care who the 49ers starter is) backup quarterback of the 23rd (or worse) best team in the NFL?
    2. Surprised that no one I've seen has noticed that Kaepernick was born in Milwaukee, one of the most segregated cities in the country and the most recent flashpoint of urban racial tension.
    3. How thrilled was Hannity to find out he's covered for all the shows this week in which Trump is unavailable for verbal fellatio?

heyabbott likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I can picture the spit I'll be turning on in hell for laughing at this.

12. Mr. Sunshine

"Kaepernick didn't stand for either of the first two preseason games, but no one noticed because he was in street clothes."

Draft saved Draft deleted