1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kaepernick sits out the anthem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Kaep is the real life Navin R Johnson

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

This will make terrific radio and TV for the idiot sport intelligentsia. Boomani StephenA Cowherd ... This is click bait cat nip

Tweener likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm equally offended by organizations treating songs other than the anthem with equal respect. Nobody needs to stand and salute when "God Bless the USA" starts playing.

FileNotFound likes this.
  4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

One of these things is not like the others.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I had a game last night and didn't see it. Also haven't watched any sports TV today. But I keep seeing the "he was faking, he wants out of his contract" line oft repeated. Do we know this? If he's sincere, it's his right ... and yes I know there's reprecussions.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Suits me fine when a celebrity does this, that or the other thing with regard to the flag/national anthem. Reminds me of what a great country I live in ...

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

It's his right even if he's not sincere.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Far be it for me to agree with Sunshine, but this echoes my thought when I first heard this story. Notice he wasn't pulling this shit back when he was considered a hot commodity, instead only when it was appearing mighty likely that his career was nearing its end anyways.

This gives him a ready made "other guy's fault" excuse for the end of his career and a potential second life as the left wing martyr who sacrificed career for principle. Far better than being known as the guy whose career ended because he simply never learned to throw accurately or in the pocket.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Kaepernick could have a greater impact by throwing to a second or even third read once in a while.

Of course, Kaepernick also has lost a starting spot to a white quarterback from... Mizzou. It is institutional.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that he'd never make it as QB of America's Team ... Jerry's too squeamish when it comes to potential character issues.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

You could very well be right, but couldn't it just as easily mean the opposite? He's taking his stand (if it is his and not someone else's) during a time when he's in a precarious spot in the league. He's decidedly not in a position of strength. Wouldn't it be easier and a better career move to keep his mouth shut?

Draft saved Draft deleted