1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kaepernick sits out the anthem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Aug 27, 2016.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You realize Kaepernick and Reid weren't protesting the NFL, right? This lawsuit had nothing to do with their cause.

They were protesting the treatment of African-Americans, specifically at the hands of police.

The NFL punished them for speaking out. It's essentially a workplace issue. This settlement is about that specific unlawful punishment, and has nothing to do with their actual cause.

It's funny -- every step of the way there's been a steady chorus of "If they REALLY cared, they'd _____." If they turned down the settlement people would have found a way to criticize that.

exmediahack and bigpern23 like this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

“Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.”

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Cute.

So are you going to argue they should have fought the NFL until the NFL was ordered in court to stop killing black men during traffic stops?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He believed in something, and it DIDN'T mean he had to lose everything. What's wrong with that? A society where martyrdom is a requirement for social action winds up with a lot of suicide bombers on its hands, or in complete totalitarianism, or both.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No sir.

What I’m reading on this thread, however, is the idea that this is an unequivocal victory for the players and definitive proof the NFL is as bad as its critics say it is. And if it’s that bad, that morally corrupt, well, then a trial would not only have delivered monetary rewards but true justice, too.

My underlying point is we really don’t know if this was some slam dunk win for the players and we don’t know if the NFL was quite the villain it seemed to be.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree.

It’s just the marketing, y’know, kind of made him out to be a martyr.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Some updated thoughts:

On CNN, Geragos said he wouldn't be surprised if Carolina or New England signs him. Geragos loves the sound of his own voice, so it is hard to know if this is true, but, assuming it is, I can understand Kaepernick settling because he wanted to play again. I can also see the NFL encouraging it, because it makes them look better.

I'm going to believe the $60-$80M number when I see it. Florio had an interesting point, that the settlement may be lower if he's allowed to play again.

As for Kaepernick himself, I'm not going to negatively judge him because he took the money. The NFL and its owners only understand money. No matter what anyone says, they were not going to be hurt by Kaepernick's stance. They are still making a fortune. Comparatively, the TV numbers are excellent. There was a story recently that the sport was dying among white children, not African-American ones.

If he wants to get back on the field and play, fine with me.

Inky_Wretch and swingline like this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Batman likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If the Patriots did sign Kaepernick (somewhere between extremely unlikely and me winning a special Nobel Prize for sportswriting) I would not stop laughing for a month.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't see it. He'll want a shot to start.

It'd be a hell of a thing if Baltimore doubled back to him. He was certainly better in his last season than Lamar Jackson was at any time in his rookie year.

Draft saved Draft deleted