1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kaepernick sits out the anthem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Aug 27, 2016.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The Kaep thing is far beyond the issues of police brutality, right to protest, etc.

The NFL values three things, definitely in this order: 1. Profits. 2. Conformity. 3. Winning.

Kaepernick threatens all three of those things.

The fact that colluding against Kaepernick is a not-so-subtle wink to racists is just a bonus for NFL owners.

CD Boogie likes this.
  2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

OK.
    Not agreeing or disagreeing with anything that's been said on this thread.
    If anyone on here was an owner in the NFL today, would you sign Kaepernick?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Of course, he's still got a ton of talent.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Absolutely, yes.

Look around the league. How many teams have two good QBs and no real use for Kaepernick? I count exactly one - Philly.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In a vacuum, based on talent and cap space alone as if we were playing Franchise Mode in Madden, yes. I don't think he's more than a marginal starter and certainly isn't a long-term answer at quarterback, but he probably still has the ability to hold down a roster spot.
    Of course, it's not that simple.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Yes. He's certainly more talented than many of the backup QBs in the league, and he was a successful starter for several seasons.

But of course, if I owned a franchise, all my fans would be progressive-minded, enlightened and blue-state residents! ;)

7. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Here's the part I don't get: IIRC, the narrative last summer was that Kaepernick was willing to stop kneeling and his representatives were telling teams that. Now he's not willing to stop. To me, that says he really wanted back in the NFL last year and this year, not so much.
    One thing nobody has mentioned is that we don't have any evidence he's stayed in shape. Have there been stories of Kaepernick throwing to people to stay sharp? About him working out?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Happy Jackie Robinson Day.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I have been saying for a while he doesn’t really want to play. His heart is not in it. His heart is into his activism. He knows if he goes back to sitting on the bench his status and message will eventually fade.

No team is going to take a chance on a backup if it thinks his dedication is not first to the team. His talent is not enough to overcome the distraction AND his heart (and head) being elsewhere.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Me? Absolutely not. I don't need the hassle of my season ticket-holders calling and asking for refunds. I don't need the hassle of people burning team jerseys in the parking lot on game day. I don't need the hassle of three-quarters of the fans in the stands booing around the national anthem.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I believe he came out and said the story that said he would stop kneeling was incorrect.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

1) He says he never says he would stop kneeling.
    2) He didn't say he was not willing to stop. He said he wasn't going to commit to an answer when they asked him.
    3) Yes, he has been working out.

Draft saved Draft deleted