1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kaepernick sits out the anthem

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Aug 27, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Not really. A lot of us still do and will always think he’s a piece of shit.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So the NFL monetizes and trivializes the sacrifice of every member of the armed services in its theater of fake, for-profit patriotism, and we're going to be mad at the one guy brave enough to call them on it.

Great job.

melock and Baron Scicluna like this.
  3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

And I hold that opinion as well.

4. CD Boogie

Honest question: since he began his protest, has he ever sat for the anthem at an event outside an nfl game? A baseball game? An nba game? A town board of selectmen meeting? Or does he only do it when he goes to work?

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No idea. And why would it matter?

He's a football player, and it gets the most attention in an NFL stadium on a Sunday.

6. CD Boogie

It wouldn’t matter that he was consistent? And right now he is not a football player

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Consistent?

That's as bad a take as "he's not good enough."

I have no idea if he kneels every time he hears the anthem. Maybe he does. Maybe he doesn't.

I do know he's given millions of dollars to charity and sacrificed an incredibly lucrative career (see Case Keenum post, above) for what he believes in.

8. CD Boogie

He is good enough in a vacuum, for sure. But that’s not the world we live in. I know what he has done and sacrificed, but I still think he has been flailing from the jump about the meat of his protest and he is something of a village idiot. Protesting police brutality is honorable and yet I dont see how his protests have make an ounce of difference in lessening the incidents. And so it feels to me like he’s thrown himself unnecessarily on a sword. He always smacked of a broken vessel, but that’s just my impression. But I think it’s shared by a good of people.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Because the guy is blackballed for a political belief -- one that shouldn't even be particularly controversial -- and they're not even pretending to hide it anymore.

Because the teams have shown winning is absolutely secondary to screwing Kaepernick.

Because the 49er who beat a woman so severely he ruptured her eardrum and is facing 3 felonies is expected to show up to work on Monday, but Kaepernick isn't fit to play football.

Because I'm tired of the NFL being treated as a branch of the military.

Because I'm growing more and more ashamed of watching guys destroy their own health for my entertainment.

Because the games themselves are no longer particularly entertaining for me. It's a cliche, but I no longer have any idea if someone has caught a ball according to the rules, and I'm tired of sitting through extended replays to reach what seems to be an arbitrary decision.

And really, what kind of arguments are these?

Because nobody has signed him, including teams who didn't have a single QB on the roster who had ever won an NFL game. He could start for a number of teams, and I'm not sure there's a single team out there who has a backup better than Kaepernick.

Really?

Leaving aside the fact that we don't know the source, remember that Kaepernick originally agreed to the workout a week ago. He was about to travel to Seattle when they added the "By the way, you'll promise never to protest again, right?" When he told them he wasn't committing to that they pulled the plug and signed a guy who has never taken a snap.

So, the workout was set up entirely in private and no one heard a word. I don't know who leaked the fact that the Seahawks pulled the invite for political reasons.

The 49ers voted him "best teammate" after the 2016 season. Unless you're really going to defend blackballing him out of fear he might potentially offend a white teammate, I don't see much of an issue here.

Again, I see no reason to think this is the case.

Roseanne thinks Trump singlehandedly disbanded a child molestation ring led by Barack Obama and Chrissy Tiegen, and that Nancy Pelosi is a lizard from outer space disguised as a human trying to conquer Earth. Tim Allen is a drug trafficker who used to have a sitcom.

I'm not going to worry much about their opinions.

Can't pretend to give a shit.

I'm really tired of the distraction argument. Tom Brady is a distraction everywhere he goes. So is Gronk. It's not even a slight issue. Every NFL game is a media circus.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That Mr. Kaepernick's protest makes people so uncomfortable is a measure of its success, not its failure.

bigpern23 and Fred siegle like this.
  11. CD Boogie

That’s an interesting way of measuring success. Making people uncomfortable? Richard Spencer and the alt-right make people (including me) extremely uncomfortable, but I think that’s a measure of how subhuman I think he is.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted