1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

K-Rod ties saves record

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 12, 2008.

1. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

I agree... It changes shit. But I think he's grossly exaggerating how much it changes things. We're talking maybe, in an extreme case, 5 runs a year.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I understand, spnited. Not saying that a Rivera or Nathan is going to make a bad offense good. My point is that having Mo back changes both teams' strategies sometimes -- would you agree with that? And my larger point is that there are too many instances of players changing teams and not putting up the same numbers to assume that any good closer on this year's Angels would have had 60 saves. Too many players have proven otherwise -- the game is not played in a vacuum.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Agree with all of that, Buck.

And I also believe the Mets should -- and probably will -- open the freaking vault for K-Rod.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Some people are also assuming that Rivera would keep up his same save conversion rate even with a much higher number of appearances. As the number of chances goes up, the chances of blowing a few goes up as well.

Don't get me wrong. I do think Rivera is the better closer. But we have never seen what he would do with that many save opportunities in a season, so there is some guessing going on here to say he would already have 60 saves if he and Rodriguez changed places.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How many save opportunities did he have in 2004 when he saved 53?

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Rivera: 4 blown saves in 04

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How did you find that?

8. outofplace

Even if he had not blown any, that still would have been nine fewer opportunities than Rodriguez already has this season, and that is with more than two weeks to go.

9. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Not really. It's a percentage that has been calculated over hundreds upon hundreds of opportunities. I feel comfortable assuming that Rivera would keep up his career save rate for another team.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yeah, I'm sure Rivera would have the same save rate if he pitched for the Pirates or Royals instead of the Yankees.

11. outofplace

You're missing my point. I'm saying having a higher number of opportunities in one single season could hurt his percentage, as it could any closer's percentage. We have never seen how Rivera would do with 62 save chances in one season (Rodriguez's current total), so at that point you are making educated guesses, not dealing in actual facts.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

He would have more opportunities to pitch. Kansas City has put Soria on the mound 39 times with a chance to lock down a save. Hell, San Francisco has given Wilson 42 save opportunities. New York's been in the position with Rivera 34 times.

Draft saved Draft deleted