1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JV Softball Rankings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Faithless, Mar 29, 2009.

1. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

What is this JV you speak of?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

their parents usually send in celebration photos that look something like this:

[​IMG]

3. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Oh. I toss lots of these in the trash every week.

4. Faithless

Faithless Member

Someone replied to my JV softball poll post, asking which papers can they find the poll. I said all of them.

5. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

In a way, this gets to the demise of newspapers. It's impossible for a single newspaper to have the resources to cover every piece of information its readers may have an interest in - the niche is way too small. Someone probably can't make a business out of j.v. softball rankings, but one nutbag with some time could easily set up a web site to create that information.

The more and more those kinds of things happen, the less people need to go to one central source for their information. They can create their own "newspaper" by visiting the places on the web they want to, in about the same amount of time they previously used to scan through the printed newspaper.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

pressmurphy, there's a youth soccer website that has been doing the same thing for a few years. It's ridiculous, but the parents totally buy into it. And the clubs use it as leverage. I've seen teams market themselves as "the second-ranked U-11 boys team in the Chicago western suburbs" or whatever so they can charge higher fees to play on a "ranked" team. And these "ranked" teams get "invited" to "exclusive" tournaments put on by event partners of this website, but of course they still have to pay hundreds of dollars for the privilege of playing. I don't understand why coaches and parents don't see this as a crock.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

because they're parents and can;t see objectively when it comes to their kids?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They do it all for the college scholarship junior probably won't get, never realizing that they could have just been saving all the money they spent on paycheck tournaments and had plenty to send him to college from that.

But then junior does go to college and blows it all on a journalism degree anyway, getting the last laugh.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Let's Play Hockey, a weekly or monthly (can't remember which) hockey newspaper, was running Mite, Squirt, Pee Wee and Bantam rankings back when I was playing at those levels in the '80s.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The fuck is that?

Draft saved Draft deleted