1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JV Softball Rankings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Faithless, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Faithless

Faithless Member

That is an actual subject on a Scout.com message board.

Someone wanted to know the JV fastpitch softball rankings for Mississippi Class 5A. Her favorite team (Southaven) started out 0-3 but has won every game since. The team has only two returning players and nine new players, including seven 7th-graders. She said it would be nice to know how such a young team is doing. She asked for assistance in finding the rankings.

I told her she should look where they publish the JV football and basketball state rankings.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Just say no.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

= fail!

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Just tell her that her team is definitely up there. And when the next ratings come out, she'll be surprised...

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Thanks to Faithless, it's now an actual subject on a SportsJournalists.com message board. :D

6. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

tell her the poll doesn't come out till late in the season like the BCS standings

7. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Tell her I eliminated them because no one gives a crap.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Now, just don't being telling that to the .... PARENTS!!

9. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Tell the coach her team is ranked eighth but might slip soon because the school two towns over is about to promote a fire-balling, fourth-grade lefty from the elementary school team.

On a (slightly) more serious note, I was disgusted to learn this winter that there are national rankings for youth hockey teams -- we're talking about 8- and 10-year-olds -- that are in part based on strength of schedule. If someone's schedule includes an opponent from more than 15 minutes away then we're taking youth sports way too seriously.

But you already knew that.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"But you already knew that."

Knew it and already scheming how to get a slice of all the ridiculous amounts of money that go into it.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Fixed.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

I have absolutely no problem with that edit.

Draft saved Draft deleted