1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JV coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HoosierLoser, Oct 2, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Standings...

Ask the AD if they are going to hang a banner in the gym is the JV team wins the conference.

A line is good, and hoops is easy. I would also give the leading scorer if the home book would tell me.

Football is tougher because jv is played on a different day. It still could get a line. Nothing more.

Oh, you can substitute JV with AAU in my book as well.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hey, our 7th and 8th grade players play hard too.

3. Starman

Hey, our 5th and 6th grade players play hard too.

4. Starman

Hey, our 3rd and 4th grade players play hard too.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

...and the band finished fifth at states.

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

We're a big paper, 125,000 K plus, but we used to have smaller zoned editions and we actually did a JV football notebook a few years ago. I know, because I had to do it. It was my first year at the paper and I was really happy to do it, since I knew that from that day on, I'd always win whenever someone asked me, ``What's the worst assignment you've ever had to cover?''

The thing is, which I'd never publicly admit, is that it really wasn't that bad. There were only like six HS in the zone I had to do it for. Once I got all the JV coaches numbers, it wasn't that hard to put together. I'd tell them to have some stats ready for me on Sunday nights, make a round of calls and crank the story out on Monday mornings. Quick and painless. But forever a good story to tell.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

If they get called in we run the JV scores. In agate type. 3-4 names max. On the agate page in the same local roundup as middle schools sports, youth soccer, little league, youth basketball, pee wee football, etc.

(small threadjack... I had the fine-detail youth sports parent of the year award winner e-mail on Sunday. A parent e-mailed the result of the game to the paper and sent copies of the e-mail to several parents on the team. Less than an hour later one of the parents e-mails a correction... his/her daughter didn't make a throw-in to get the assist, she made a flip-throw. Got in the paper simply as an assist).

8. statrat

statrat Member

After being deluged with angry parents last year about not running JV info or middle school scores, I actually told the JV and middle school coaches to call in their scores and I would try to fit them in this year. I'm still waiting for the phone to ring.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

When people wonder why I don't cover JV games (especially football), I just tell them to take it up with my wife.

10. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

No to JV. We run middle school briefs only in the town the paper is in (not sure why). As far as freshman and JV it's the same. In our town, where the paper is located, we'll run it. But any other town we are circulating in no way. When a parent complains we tell them like it is. Lifes not fair. If they want thier JV kids in the paper move into the town. If not, get better and go on varsity.

BTW, if I was at a hoop game and the JV kid dropped 61 that is an absolute story (6-8 inch side with a quote, no more). It meets newsworthiness for no other reason that it is an oddity. The editor who said no was dead wrong. My other question would be is why is the kid still on JV?

But, tell your management you need twice the staff to cover twice the teams. That will end in no time.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Weird, I saw this thread and the Knoxville paper came in the mail. They lead the section with JV coverage. Just college JV coverage. Gamer and column.
    Newsy, I guess, it was UT's first JV game in a couple of decades.

12. statrat

statrat Member

Colleges still have JV teams?

Draft saved Draft deleted