1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Justin Verlander: HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

12 seasons

WAR 50.2

Possibly two Cy Young Awards after this year. Certainly five top-five finishes.

Six-time All-Star

2,339 IP

2,197 SO

3.47 ERA

123 ERA+

3.14/1 SO/IP

Three-time led league in IP.

Four-time led league in SO.

One-time led league in ERA.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How fat is Kate gonna be by then?
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Does he pitch to the score?
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

If he retired today, he'd go into the Hall with Roy Oswalt.
  5. Dick Whitman

Cole Hamels is a compiler, but, damn, he's right there with Verlander, if not better, in most career categories.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not if he retired today. If you've got under 200 wins you better be Koufax-esque transcendent. Six all-star seasons out of 12 doesn't do it. And if you need the advanced sabermetrics, you don't really have a case. But I'm old like that.
  7. Dick Whitman

I don't think if he retired today, either.

Here, I'm more interested in whether people think he's eventually going to get there.
  8. Dick Whitman

I don't agree with this. Why should we use shitty statistics instead of potentially more revealing statistics?
  9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's definitely a hot-button issue as Verlander prepares for the final four to six years of his career.
    sgreenwell and Batman like this.
  10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Because that's how it's always been done. I thought this was settled on the awards thread.
  11. Dick Whitman

I just think he's somewhat interesting because people had rightfully written him off a year or two ago, and now he's back in the hunt.
  12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He's not gonna retire today. He's in the Hall unless he has a Jack McDowell sudden flameout of his career -- say he goes 11-15, 9-16, 4-10 and then retires. In that case he might be shaky.

If he pitches five more years as a league average pitcher, he's in.

If he pitches five more years as above league average, or if he has some big postseason wins, he'll be a near consensus pick.

It's actually very common for HOF pitchers to have a dud season or two right around age 30.
Draft saved Draft deleted