1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Justin Morneau is the AL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Nov 21, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Absolutely not. A DH on a 85-loss team.

2. Everybody but late-career McGwire/Bonds types hit "mostly singles." That's the most common type of hit.

Mauer 1) hit nearly as well, slightly better if only looking at rate stats, 2) played far better defense at 3) a far more demanding position, and 4) also caught one of the best pitching staffs in baseball.

Morneau put up a nearly identical line to that of Paul Konerko. I'm not impressed.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

See what Rosie does for ya when yoou

See what Rosie does for you when you defend the selection of a Twinkie over a Yankee. ;)

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Howard had 2 HRs the final 21 days and Morneau had 1.

Them baseball writers.

As Colbert said... congratulations!

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

One of the best pitching staffs in baseball? 2 guys...one of whom pitched 1/2 a season!

6. Not rotation -- staff. They had a helluva bullpen, you know.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

85-loss team?

You say that the difference between 90 wins and 90 losses is microscopic in baseball... some horseshit like that.

As if any single player affects those win totals by any great measure.

And, thanks for making the point that was made earlier.... people will vote for players who play defense badly as opposed to those who don't play.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Earlier, you said you couldn't believe Jeter wasn't in the top three on some ballots. Yet, now, you just listed four players that could be argued as better. And spnited has already proven Morneau bleongs.

Quit being a Yankee fanboy.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

The real question here -- and mostly my feeling is if you're not the winner who cares where you finished -- is why is David Ortiz third?
    He does not belong in the top 5.

10. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

:'( :'( :'( :'(

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I hate to admit it, but that was my reaction, too.
    I agree that Morneau was a solid choice. He really carried that offense whe the Twins fought their way back into the race.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

If Queen Elizabeth had a pair of balls between her legs, would she be King Elizabeth?

Get over it. Morneau is the AL MVP.

Draft saved Draft deleted