1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Justin Morneau is the AL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Nov 21, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Somebody please tell me how Mauer is more valuable than the guy who drove in all the big runs?
    This team did not start winning until Morneau started hitting.
    As I said yesterdy, Morneau 1, Jeter 2 was the right pick.

And if .321, 34 HR, 130 RBI, 190 hits, 97 runs scored are bad numbers for an MVP....what does a guy have to do?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Jeter didn't win it? Then it sounds like a great choice to me. :D

3. casty33

casty33 Active Member

All of your comments are interesting. But I have only one thing to add. I believe at least one of us was correct when he wrote that Howard and Morneau would win the MVP votes. And the question was WOULD, not SHOULD win. If anyone wants to check on previous MVP threads, I think you'll find the answer, thank you very much.

That said -- and knowing the majority of you will disagree, but I hardly care -- I congratulate the voters on two difficult jobs well done.

And with that, I think I'll go to sleep. As you get older, that's what happens. (Some day, you'll know that, too).

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

spnited, what's wrong with you? actually posting some hard data instead of throwing out 'this is a bad choice'? geez.

5. Yes, and the team wasn't winning because Morneau sucked in the first couple months. Morneau's slumping helped to put his team in a big hole. If it weren't for Mauer hitting like mad while Gardenhire was handicapping his team further with Juan Castro and Tony Batista playing in front of Jason Bartlett and Nick Punto, the Twins would've been buried.

Mauer also finished with a higher OPS than Morneau. It ain't like Mauer was hitting singles.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Stephen Colbert stops by.

7. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Geez, he should have started hitting before June then.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hate to tell you Mungo, but Mauer was hitting mostly singles...128 of his 181 hits were singles.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHHA

Travis Hafner: 42 HR/117 RBI/100 runs scored, .308/.439/.659
    Justin Morneau: 34 HR/130 RBI/97 runs scored, .321./.375/.559

If Hafner doesn't miss the last month of the season, does that make him MVP?

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Probably.

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I promised spnited that I'd sing "Pleasant Valley Sunday" and "Daydream Believer" to him. ;)

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Don't forget a grand total of 2 HRs in September. He was awful early, good late, and had a great June & July. A joke of a pick. Mauer, Santana, Jeter, Dye & Hafner were all defensable choices. I wouldn't even have Morneau next, and I happen to like him, and think he's a great player.

Draft saved Draft deleted