1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Justin Morneau is the AL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That's precisely what yesterday showed.

2. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

How the fuck did yesterday show that? There's no DH in the National League.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

No way Howard wins as a DH over Pujols.

THAT was the point.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'm sure all of you posting know this on the board, but for the benefit of those who may not: these awards are voted on BEFORE the playoffs even begin.

That said, Morneau as MVP isn't a bad choice, but I would've looked at Mauer.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

And 2001, when Roid Boy Giambi won it.

People don't get this. The Yankee fanboy loooosers who gushed over ARod and knocked Ortiz last year actually believed Giambi deserved it because he played the field in '01.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

He's third on his team. Santana and MAuer were both more valuable.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

ARod can play defense, though he had his worst year this season. And, third ain't the same as first. Can't hide someone there as easily.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not disagreeing with you there.

But he's still a better candidate than Jeter.

Who will probably issue some canned pablum about how this doesn't bother him, only to never look at Justin Morneau again.

9. Guy_Incognito

I voted for Peyton Manning.

10. Did y'all see the voting? The math seems a little bizarre to me. Morneau gets 3 more first place votes than Jeter, but Jeter gets 6 more 2nd-place votes than Morneau. Do the math and that gives Jeter a slight lead in the points race (294-280) at the top of the food chain. Morneau makes up the difference by getting 3 third-place votes, to zero for Jeter.
    Now, I'm far from a Yankee homer, but it seems absolutely bizarre to me that Jeter didn't finish in the top three on a handful of ballots.
    I can see you arguing that he wasn't the MVP. But he was certainly one of the top three candidates.
    Sorry, I think there's some Yankee backlash going on here.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Dye, Morneau, Ortiz, Thomas....

I could easily argue three of those players ahead of Jeter on ballots.

12. Guy_Incognito

You could do it easily, but in the case of Ortiz & Morneau, and probably Thomas, you'd do it badly.

Draft saved Draft deleted