1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Justin Morneau is the AL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Nov 21, 2006.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Headline on the Post Web site (no joke): "Jeter loses AL MVP"

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

How dare you use Pete Vuckovich's name in vain! ;)

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

... bangs Biel again"

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This was a bad choice. Morneau should have finished second. I am sure there was some anti-Yankees, and particularly anti-Jeter, sentiment that dropped him to second on third on some ballots. Can't complain too hardily, though. I think Jeter deserved it, but Morneau had a pretty good season. This will go down as one of the weaker MVPs ever, though.

5. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I wonder, though, if like Tony Parker, DJ is a little shy back there. Then again, I'd let Biel take charge any day.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I personally thought that Santanna and Morneau would have picked eachother off by splitting too many votes, opening things up for Jeter to slip in and take the MVP. Glad it didn't happen though, bith were more valuable and had better seasons than Jeter.

7. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Like a previous poster said, I don't see the argument with Morneau. He had a hell of a season, sure, but if anyone should get it on the Twins, it's Mauer. If you're intrigued by Morneau's power numbers, well, why not give it to David Ortiz?

That being said, why wasn't Travis Hafner included in the MVP discussion? Yeah, the Indians sucked, and yeah he was injured, but up until he did get hurt, he was having a monster, monster year. Not saying he deserved to win it, but he certainly warranted more than 8th place in my opinion.

8. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Well, they got it wrong. But at least it wasn't Jeter.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It's no 1988 NL.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Hell, Morneau isn't even the MVC (Most Valuable Canadian)...

[​IMG]

[/piratesfanboylooser]

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Well, finally Jeter may have something in common with ARod.

12. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Because he wasn't on a playoff team like Howard? Oh, wait. Because he doesn't stand close to first base wearing a mitt like Howard? That's it. The lesson is it's better to play defense really badly than not play it at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted