1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Justifying your existance...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doubledown68, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I had to do this at my former Gannett paper. I filled out with every little thing I did, describing it all.

Did it help? Beats the heck out of me. If I remember right, I survived one layoff group before getting the ax.

2. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

The thing that really amuses me about stunts like this is, shouldn't management already know who is delivering and who isn't?

3. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Re: Justifying your existence...

Meanwhile, Gannett admitted it's essentially throwing darts at a list of names. Corporate put out a memo before the last round of layoffs saying that job performance had nothing to do with whether someone would be retained.

http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/urgent-gannett-announces-700-newspaper.html

4. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

I don't think there's a right answer. If they're going to slit your throat, it'll happen no matter what you do.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To which every employee should essentially do the bare minimum then. They're gonig to lay you off anyways? Why kill yourself for a company that doesn't give a shit about you?

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

And of course the fine folks who preside over this whole mess and got millions in bonuses won't have to justify shit. Hell, someone probably got a nice check just for coming up with this brilliant idea.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes wouldn't that be great...the outsiders come in and recommend no more bonuses for the big boys as the No. 1 cost-cutting measure :)

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Surely, criminals would be considerate enough to schedule their robbing and murdering during business hours.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I read somewhere -- might have been here, might have been Ruth Holliday's blog that's the go-to for all Indy Star angst, I'm not 100% certain -- after the axe fell in Indy that virtually everyone who got laid off fit a profile of being middle-aged (late 30s-late 40s) and had several years in at Gannett. The new hires (young & cheap) weren't touched, and most of the grizzled vets (the couple who were left) also were left alone.

Draft saved Draft deleted