1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Justified

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Circus, Mar 16, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Late into the game here.

Just watched the first season and ordered the second from Amazon.ca.

Great show, great acting, including a whole bunch of actors who could be classified as "That Guy". Actors from Law & Order and CSI who show up on those shows regularly

There seems to be a bit of confusion about the source material here, based on some posts.

The inspiration for the series was based on a short story/novella, "Fire in the Hole" by Elmore Leonard who's also an executive producer

And for the person who said they couldn't stand the actor Timothy Oliphant, it's Olyphant

And it's the character who's smirking not the actor.

Well, actually, he's not smirking, he's bemused.

Read "Pronto" by Leonard and you know what I mean.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Publication Date: January 17, 2012

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006211946X/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_g14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=131SX7W549KPDN3747R4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Am reading it now.

Also dug up my copy of "When the Women Come Out to Dance" which has the "Fire in the Hole" story in it.

Had the pleasure of having a drink with Mr. Leonard a number of years ago at a Bookseller's Convention. Real down-to-earth guy

4. I think this is gonna be my last season with this show as "must see."

The last few weeks have tested my suspension of disbelief and the final 10 minutes of last night's show I just about lost it.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

This seemed like a crowd that might enjoy this: http://www.vulture.com/2012/02/play-the-justified-drinking-game.html

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I like the dialogue so much that I can get over the complete and total bullshit scenario that Raylan could wake from a tranquilizer stupor, know that homey had his gun, retrieve it, and shoot it through homey's body into hottie's chest.

I simply like hearing Boyd talk that much.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

This pretty much sums up how I felt about last night's episode.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was improbable, but lord, was it entertaining.

And you're right about Boyd. He's mesmerizing. The little look he gave Quarles after he identified the Saul Bellow quote just killed me.

9. Cosmo - To be fair the woman did say that they needed to give him another shot before he woke up. So they knew it was only temporary and if the guy on top of Raylan had his gun in the small of his back - Raylan would have easily felt that when the guy landed on him.

See person pointing gun at you - shoot person pointing gun at you. Instincts for a guy like Raylan would have kicked in. He probably never even thought about it.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Very good point, Chris.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The guys tweeting at everydayshouldbesaturday & kegsneggs are apparently big Justified fans. Reading their tweets during the show is funny as hell.

I have the new Raylin book but haven't cracked it yet. For those who have read the earlier ones, is Olyphant's portrayal true to Leonard's books?

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

True, but every other time Raylan has gotten himself out of a crazy situation, I think "God, Raylan's such a badass!" Last night, I thought, "Really?" But I do see your point.

Draft saved Draft deleted