1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Justice Scalia's comments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Dec 10, 2015.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

When the top end of the scale is 4.3, I'm not surprised.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Lots of 'em went to Lake Woebegone High ... You gotta bring it to crack the top decile there ...

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I went to (1) a small, woodwork private school with almost no racial diversity, though I was personally enriched being around people diverse from my own area - it was a good ol' boy student body, and I was a suburbanite; (2) a BCS school that has been at the center of some of these cases. I believe the diversity - both racial and geographic - was personally enriching ; (3) a well-known private school that falls somewhere in between, unless you include Asians. It was the best educational experience of the three, mostly because of the diversity of thought and ideas, which the BCS school lacked.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

It can as high as 5.0 in some systems. Part of going soft on the youth, same as suing a school because an unexceptional student wasn't let in. (I know that's mostly a distraction)

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

In a twisted way, this is true. I worked on the affirmative action admissions committees both in undergrad and law school. The point is not some pure race based point system where minorities get admitted at "lower" scores.

The point is to give credence to those who are less fortunate and achieve notwithstanding the obstacles faced.

You think some suburbanite white kid who's never worked a day in his/her life, who has tutors at their beckon call and has a 4.0 is vastly superior to a minority kid with two uneducated working parents, who has to help raise his/her 4 siblings AND works 40 hours a week AND wrestles? That's affirmative action, giving kids credit for achieving in less traditional circumstances. Those are kids that I was proud to recommend for admission under affirmative action goals.

And no it wasn't purely race based criteria, we applied the same criteria to "others" who did not fit the traditional minority classes, which meant disadvantaged caucasians as well, as any affirmative action program should IMHO.

Ace and cranberry like this.
  7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The university system doesn't give a crap about high-achieving, low-income white kids. Can't check off a box anywhere.

YankeeFan and heyabbott like this.
  8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Why should any of that apply to Grad/Professional Schools? I understand the argument for undergrad to consider people who have been disadvantaged and may have to deal with issues that others not economically disadvantaged have not faced. I think discriminating against someone or in favor of someone to make the yearbook photos look like a Benetton catalogue is trash. But giving the disadvantaged a different look may have a place. As I said before, just make it plain. Tell the applicants the criteria.
    But to get a doctorate in bio-chemistry or physics or a medical or law degree, you have a 4 year accredited University to determine, objectively, if they are the best candidate. What is the need for race based admissions in post-grad?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If your goal is truly to give kids credit for achieving under less traditional circumstances, race doesn't have to enter the equation. A university could do a color / race blind application that evaluates applicants' experiences using the kinds of criteria you wrote about for those who are less fortunate, without ever having a checkbox on an application that asks if you are white or black or asian or any other race, couldn't they?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    justgladtobehere likes this.
  10. JohnHammond

"Best" candidate isn't an objective measure.

11. JohnHammond

Bring on the app from a wealthy kid saving the world by spending a week talking selfies in Central America

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Upper and upper middle class black kids often benefit from these programs, while poor white kids are given no additional advantage.

Draft saved Draft deleted