1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Justice Scalia's comments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know. But I can certainly see the value of having a subset of candidates who aren't all 4.0 white/Asian kids with a 30+ ACT. Even if they can't play football.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One too many "twos" in that quote.

lcjjdnh, cranberry and doctorquant like this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I would go through this numerically, but it gets me into racial arithmetic that I absolutely abhor. Suffice it to say that I am skeptical that, for a typical non-African-American student, any such diversity-boosting initiative materially affects the variety of perspectives/backgrounds to which he/she is exposed.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That's a good sentiment and if there's nothing wrong with it, either morally and legally, then be honest and upfront about it.

White Kids we will admit X of you and you will be held to standard A.
    Asian kids, for these purposes you are white, unless you are on the West Coast or Applying to An Ivy League School. If so we will only admit 20% of X and you will be held to standard A plus 20%.

Black Kids you will be admitted, all of you, who meet Standard A.
    Those black kids who do not meet standard A will be admitted until your proportion of students on campus is at least equal to 60% (or 3/5th) of X.
    Hispanic Kids? Seriously? You're lucky you are here. You'll be white in your next generation. This is not about you unless you are Afro-Hispanic, then see above.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Understood. And I don't know what the magic ingredients are for the non-automatic qualifiers. If race is part of it as well as extracurriculars, great essay, public service, potential for your parents to donate a building, etc. Great. That's pretty much how most colleges decide.

If it's, "OK, now we have 300 slots for black kids." That sounds like an easy way out.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

One thing I have found, most high schools and colleges really, really do not want to be upfront about how they select students if they can help it.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm sure you think this.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Pretty much black and white.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

AS an engineering student, chemistry or biology student, indeed a student of any hard science, what is the value of diversity in the classroom? Whether my fellow students are from Warsaw, Bombay, Greenwich Conn or Newark New Jersey, rich or poor, black, brown or white, how is that expanding my knowledge of fluid dynamics?

You think any of the African American students on campus are coming to the Chem Student Exchange Party at the Student Union on Thursday from 3-4:30 to share our culture and share theirs?

The most segregated places in America are college campuses. Huge Black Greek traditions, de facto housing segregation, separate student unions. Speech codes...

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Depends on the campus. There are melting pot campuses, although like anywhere else there will be some self sorting going on.

The most segregated place in America is still church at 11 am on Sunday.

heyabbott likes this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The diversity argument is a canard, made out of whole cloth as a means of getting around prohibitions on race-based favoritism.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I'm impressed these 4.0 students couldn't make the top 10 percent of their class.

Draft saved Draft deleted