1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Justice Scalia's comments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There are a lot of people on this thread who have forever sacrificed the high ground on "57 states." Words matter!

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm having a hard time taking the predictions of the Board's SCOTUS experts seriously, as they debate whether the vote will be 8-1, or 7-2.

I'll bet you any amount you'd like, and give you odds, that the final vote will be neither of those two.

Justice Elena Kagan was recused from the case because she had worked on it as solicitor general of the United States.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/10/u...t-case-that-may-alter-affirmative-action.html

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Don't fight the hypo, YF.

The vote debate was not on the outcome of the current case, which will most certainly be something other then a one or two vote dissent.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

GOP gonna rally around Trump now so they can save the Supreme Court!

7. cranberry

SCOTUS Blog says the opinion is 20 pages and Alito's (butthurt) dissent is 51 pages.

Double Down and Lugnuts like this.
  8. cranberry

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm not into sabermetrics, but, wow, that quote screams "I don't have any facts so I'm just going to go with how I feel."

How about Kennedy ask some of those 4.0 students who couldn't get in about "intangible qualities which are incapable of objective measurement."

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

One two many "which"es in that quote, Cran.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think this really touches on the basic differences between liberals and conservatives.

Right or wrong, liberals tend to look at things in shades of gray. So I think it's easy for them to see a value of a diverse campus, even if you can't easily measure it.

Conservatives tend to see things as black and white and I can understand how they feel that it's not fair for someone to get in to Texas with a lower ACT/GPA score, no matter their race, religion, extracurriculars, etc.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh, don't kid yourselves, liberals see things as black and white, too. The "diversity" argument is nothing more than an end-around of prohibitions of strict quotas.

Draft saved Draft deleted