1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Justice for Nisha'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Wayne County prosecutors will decide today whether to pursue charges against a homeowner who shot and killed an unarmed black woman who came to his door seeking assistance after a car accident in a predominantly white suburb of Detroit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/15/us/fatal-shooting-of-black-woman-outside-detroit-stirs-racial-tensions.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0

"(C)ivil rights activists in Detroit have pointedly recalled the cases of Trayvon Martin, the black teenager who was shot last year in a fatal encounter in Florida(.)"

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Charges brought. Second degree murder.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/16/us/michigan-homeowner-charged-in-renisha-mcbrides-death.html?hp&_r=0

"We do not believe he acted in lawful self-defense."

3. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

From what I have read and my own prejudices against guns and shooting people, it seems like the homeowner overreacted and this woman should not be dead. I hope he serves time for being so reckless.

However, there is one thing that makes me wonder if this guy was actually feeling threatened: how drunk this woman was. She had a .21 BAC when she died -- hours after she crashed the car. So how drunk was she when she was driving? .25? .3? She must have been blitzed out of her mind. Given that, it's hard to know how crazy she might have been acting when she showed up on this guy's porch. It could have been that she was so erratic that he was threatened.

I think back to a smaller case in South Bend where a drunk student was shot when he kept yanking on the handle to a door of a house at 3 am. He was so drunk that he went to the wrong house (his friends house was next door). The homeowner shot him through the door and was not charged with anything. (the student lived)

Both these case feel a little similar -- drunk idiot + paranoid man with a gun + late night encounter = big trouble

Draft saved Draft deleted