1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just wondering ... when will we see athletes taking salary cuts?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MGoBlue, Dec 8, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's what happens when you break the union.

[blue]Yes they are. MLB.com is cutting staff.[/blue]

2. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

i'm more interested to see when college coaches start to get less money... :D

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Might be happening already in MLB... I see another collusion suit on the horizon

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=olney_buster&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fname%3dolney_buster

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The agents are going to have a heckuva time trying to prove collusion, especially with the economy. The owners are finally learning to just say no. The players are receiving offers, just not what they are expecting. In the 80s, you were having free agent superstars barely receiving any offers, so the agents had a bit of an easier time proving their cases.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I think there will be a trickle down. I have predicted that for a while now.

If/when revenues decrease because of saggin sponsorships and ticket sales, the results will trickle down. Yes, the stars will always make more than the average Joe, but the whole scale will decrease, whether its contract sports or sports like golf, tennis, racing where players are paid for performance. The amount of money increases in golf and racing over the last 10 years has been insane.

And so much for big dollar sponsorship. When Buick dumps Tiger Woods --- arguable the most marketable athlete today --- it's a sign people are rethinking their spending priorities.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The dollar amounts will continue to go up - but I wouldn't be surprised to see money pushed out to the future a bit more, deferred payments and such.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, I doubt that. :D

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

According to Pierre LeBrun, the NHL won't see its salary cap drop next season, since pretty much all of its revenue had already been collected by September.

If the economy is still in this state next September, the salary cap could take a serious drop for 2010-11.

9. Boognish

Boognish Member

LPGA golfers will be making less money at fewer tournaments starting next year.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Corporate money is a big deal here. If Chevrolet isn't buying advertising time on radio and TV and paying millions to call itself the official ride of the White Sox, it makes a huge difference.

Tickets are nice, but even when you sell someone a $5 hot dog, you still have to pay for the hot dog and the mustard and the wrapper, and pay someone to cook it and someone to sell it and someone to sweep up the wrappers.

A lot of sponsorship money is truly money for nothing.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

You saw Hot Stove on Saturday night, I see.

Should the cap go down drastically, I wonder if we'll see teams like Islanders, Lightning that signed players to long term big money deals try to get rid of those contracts.

12. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

<I>Re: Just wondering ... when will we see athletes taking salary cuts? </i>

Not anytime soon, but the NFL is laying off other employees:

"Commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday that the league is cutting more than 10 percent of its staff in response to the downturn in the nation's economy that could put a dent in ticket sales for next season.

Goodell announced the cuts in a memo to league employees. The NFL is eliminating about 150 of its staff of 1,100 in New York, NFL Films in New Jersey and television and Internet production facilities in Los Angeles."

Draft saved Draft deleted