1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just wondering how not_who_i_usually_am is doing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by old_tony, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Online dating is a good way to supplement the usual social life you have, just like Philosopher said. Plus, there are plenty of stories like westcoastvol shared to have out there.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Religion, online date services - neither really precludes my drinking suggestion.
    Why not go for the trifecta?

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

What Buck is trying to say is, if you meet an alcoholic who loves whiskey on Match.com, please have her PM him.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hope you find a nice girl -- not!

5. Online dating sites work well in a metropolitan area when the people on the site are constantly changing. Out in the sticks, it's a much-smaller pool from which to draw, whether you're "out there" and socializing or using a dating site. You log in to check out your matches and you see the same people week after week, inculding the ones whoi have already let you down politely, or ignored you altogether. Not knowing where Not is (Abbott and Costello helped me with that phrase), it's something to consider.

Besides, Not, you should focus on being a work-in-progress; after years of marriage there's nothing wrong with taking some time for yourself and figuring out just who you are independent of Exey/Wifey.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Throw in some pastrami, the most sensual of the salted, cured meats.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree with the second paragraph, but not the first so much. I've found that as someone living 30 and 60 minutes away from two cities, it's actually harder to get their interest just because they have so many options when it comes to the dating pool, whether it's online or not. When there are dozens of new people signing up each day, then it tends to lower the tolerance for the person you're trying to date.

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

can't agree more. if you're searching for an online review of something - restaurant, hardware store, hotel, dating site - you will ALWAYS find negative reviews. the online review concept has to be taken with a grain of salt. try the dating site. if it doesn't work after a few months, quit.

9. So as my regular SJ name, I scrolled across another dating thread today, and somebody mentioned my ol' "Not" moniker. I hadn't thought of Not in some time. It was strange seeing it mentioned. Kinda took me back in time. Thought maybe it was time for an update.

I'm doing very well. It's weird to read my last update and see how much better things are now, even compared to the positive tone of then. For starters, the house finally sold a few months ago. It went for less than we paid for it, and I owed the ex money because of that, but it's done now and I'll never have to see her or speak to her or email her again. That was a lot of stress lifted, because at any time that house could have burned down, or been burglarized, or blasted by a tornado and I'd have really been f-ed. Now it's not my problem. After we closed, my realtor (who knew the reason for the divorce and selling of the house) gave me a bottle of wine called "Clean Slate". I thought that was appropriate!

I finished earning my MA in Communication-Graphic Design in December. That was a nice life goal to check off. Now I just have to pay for it. Yuck.

I'm still at the same corporate job I complained about last year, and I still dislike it here and am still searching for something better. Love my coworkers, just hate the company and the bosses... In the meantime, though, I did get a nice raise earlier this year to the point that I am now making more than the SE at my former paper was making. And I feel like I have decent job security here, especially compared to those of you still in journalism. So while I would like a new job, I can't complain too much. It definitely could be, and has been, much worse.

I volunteer at my church helping people deal with difficult issues in their life. I'm working with a guy right now who got a DUI a few weeks ago and is facing possible jail time. It's very rewarding work. For the first time, I feel like I'm giving back to the world.

I still work out a ton, play basketball, run. I'm in excellent shape, though I threw out my back for the first time a few weeks ago. Back spasms are horrible! I've got more friends even than last year, more than I've ever had. It's nice to be busy.

And finally... I have a girlfriend. Moreover, we're taking an international vacation together that leaves a week from Saturday. Who woulda thunk, right? Certainly not me. She's way hotter than the ex (that's not even just me talking - that's everyone who knew the ex and has met the GF), not to mention funny and fun and... anyway. So that's great. We met on match. I read what was said here, and it took a while but I did eventually create a match profile. We met about two months later, the day after she thought she had cancelled her match account (only to find out, when an email from me arrived, that she had not). She thought my profile was hilarious and decided to give me a chance. She said when she pulled up to the cafe for our first meeting and saw me outside waiting, she almost didn't get out of the car because she thought I was way too hot for her and would blow her off. That was the first time I've ever been called hot. Kinda like it...

In summary, I am very happy with life. Things have turned the corner for me, for sure, and I'm much happier than I've been in years. I really wish I could grab this post, go back in time two years and show my old self how it would turn out. Would have saved me a lot of heartache and stress. Thank you SJ for your role in that. All of you. Strange as it sounds, it meant a lot hearing from all the people who offered support and kind words, even if I don't know any of you in real life.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Did the new gal write a thank-you note? And if so, was it signed "Best" or "Regards"? Or "Tits"?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I hope she comes with a warning label with a picture ;D

Seriously, great to hear you're doing well, Not.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Any news about your cargo shorts?

Draft saved Draft deleted