1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just wondering, has the flames cooled enough for this?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. printdust

printdust New Member

It's been more than a year since the politics board closed; with the mid-term election night nearing, would it be possible to open a thread at the time the first polls closed and leave it up, for better or worse, for 24 hours? This is a pretty significant news event. Maybe we can wrestle with it on a limited basis for that moment then if the walls of the room are knocked out, broken glass everywhere and piss scent evident from the various wars, hey, I'll find an insurance adjuster to address the damage for free. Thoughts?

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Respectfully concur.

Although I was going to ask if we could use the board from now through the election.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

I thought that too but I didn't want to see it closed before we got to it because we couldn't handle it.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You're not helping the cause if you don't think we can color within the lines for three whole weeks.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Then I guess I'm not going to be among those helping the cause. I doubt we can, even with some of the pains in the ass gone to follow the wanna-be.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

Well, this is as strong as it's going to get from me:
    If some of the predictions I googled this morning become reality, I'm going to be absolutely shocked based on where I thought this country was headed two years ago. And it will prove that most voters vote based on their wallets. But if the economy doesn't improve within two years for the working class, then there will be another massive change back, or moreover, to a third direction. And I have my doubts that real improvement for the common man is what the wave of those expecting to take power will focus on. Right now, I have no faith whatsoever in government.

If that's piss on the carpet, like I said, I'll bring in the cleaners.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Republican Party is dead. I read it on SportsJournalists.com two years ago.
    Dead I tell you, and if you think otherwise you eat paste!

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Politics to this board is like Rick Patino with dessert in Italian restaurants.

It's like Brett Farve with a cell phone.

It's like Michael Vick with puppies.

It's like Brad Renfro with recreational drugs.

I'm sure that we'll be able to handle it.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Don't do it. This place has become too nice since the political board was taken down.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Has the flames cooled? I'm more concerned that too many people here don't know basic grammar.
    I'll take up the general issue with the boss but my leaning is no.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Since we know exactly how every respondent to such a thread will feel, that is, real happy or real sad, why bother having it? It will degenerate into the usual "nyaah-nyaah" before the end of the first page.
    One of the oldest sayings in baseball is that it's important to remember that the best teams win two out of three games while the worst teams win one in three. Same goes in politics. A landslide win is one in which one side gets 11 of 20 votes, while the loser gets nine. This truth would be the first casualty of an election thread.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

But, Michael, they're going to be such satisfying "nyaah-nyaahs." :D

Seriously, though, I've found other places to scratch my political itch. If the politics board is open for a week or so or even just a night, I'd probably contribute and I would do so within the rules ... unless there's a new rule banning gloating. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.