1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just when you thought Lane Kiffin couldn't piss off anyone else ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 26, 2010.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I just think that Fisher may be looking five years in the future.

He's an NFL guy but, have you ever heard him during the season? Even for a guy like him - who appears to stay in shape - I think Fisher is a stress/heart attack waiting to happen.

If he is at USC, that is one of the few, FEW jobs in college football where you don't have to do the distasteful (recruiting) as much as most SEC or Big XII schools. Realistically, Fisher wouldn't have to do much more than shake a few hands in Southern California and "hand the pen" to the recruit. FAR better than trying to recruit to Auburn, Alabama or Stillwater, Oklahoma.

If Fisher goes to USC as the next head coach in the next couple of years, his quality of life will go up -- he won't have to be at the office until 3 AM every day, he'll be near home, making $2-$3 million a year without the constant pressure of working for Bud Adams.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Son, if you can dodge the stray bullets from the neighborhood near where we practice, you will have no problem eluding would-be tacklers."

Who can compete with that USC recruiting pitch?

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Speaking of recruiting pitches ...

[​IMG]

Note the presence of the clouds. And, couldn't they get him to tuck in his shirt?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You show the kids this picture and tell them, "these are the ugliest girls at USC."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

+1 Armchair.

Say what you want to about Lane Kiffin, but he's not a bad coach, and he's an even better recruiter. But the best thing he does is hire the right people. He may not go about it the right way (Orgeron and Palo) but he gets the right guys and puts his team in a position to outcoach anyone in the country.

I'm a UT fan, and I was skeptic of Kiffin from day 1, but he did a hell of a job with that horrific offense. Although his daddy disappointed on the other side of the ball.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This notion that Jeff Fisher is suing USC because he wants Kiffin's job and somehow that is a path to it? It is silly.

If Jeff Fisher goes out looking for a job after this season, he will have his pick of jobs. He's that well regarded. And he STILL wouldn't be interested in a job at USC, same as he wasn't last time around.

7. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Agreed. The NFL hires and rehires guys who can't coach without breaking a sweat. Fisher can coach.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It's not Jeff Fisher suing USC. It's the Titans. The Titans don't do a thing without Bud Adams signing off -- or demanding it. I wonder if it's Adams, and not Fisher, who actually demanded that this suit be filed? We may never know.

I also wonder if Kiffin had left, say, the baby ut in Austin in the lurch instead of the nation's oldest UT, I wonder if the Titans would have bothered with this rather silly suit. That one we certainly will never know!

9. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

PR move by the Titans, plain and simple, to get some Vols fans on board.

From the Tennessean story: The lawsuit states "as a result of USC and Kiffin's tortuous conduct, Tennessee (Titans) football has been damaged in an amount proven at trial.'' I think the "Titans" was left out intentionally.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Ah, but Fisher looks good - in the eyes of the "New USC". He is a man of integrity - and a darn good coach.

No one should follow a legend (Carroll - even if that is diminishing with each NCAA discovery). You want to be the person two hires after the legend.

Sure, if Fisher leaves the Titans/get fired from the Titans, we will have no less than 8 or 9 jobs waiting for him. But, if he wants to go college, I could easily see Haden blowing out Kiffin to take him.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Jeff Fisher would have his pick of jobs?

Really?

Based on, um, what exactly?

And he comes off looking like an incredibly small-minded, petty individual in this one -- who gives a fuck that your running backs coach left?

Seriously - this is just (a) kissing up to the fans in Tennessee who hate Lane Kiffin (b) kissing up to the USC fans who hate Kiffin and thus becoming even more a legend in the eyes of his alma mater.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

BASED ON BEING THE BEST COACH IN THE NFL THAT'S WHAT!!!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted