1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just when you thought Lane Kiffin couldn't piss off anyone else ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The clock is ticking on Vick. He'll pull some more thug-life idiocy, and Darth Goodell will unleash his light saber.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Not the point, after many on here said he would never play in the league again, he did. Although, I have no doubt you will be correct about Vick's future.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to decide whether Lane Kiffin has mental health issues or is just simply an asshole. Piotr, I agree with you about the King.

5. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Please, we've all been around these types. He was born the son of a "genius", got himself a trophy wife and has had doors opened for him his all life. And thinks he's smarter than everybody else. It comes across every time he opens his yap.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'm surprised this angle hasn't been brought up...

Why would Fisher & the Titans sue USC over... this guy?

My take. The dynamic at USC has changed in the past four months. Garrett is out and Pat Haden is the AD now.

If Fisher doesn't make the AFC Championship game this year...I think he's gone. He's had 15 years but - for as good of a coach as he is - it's going on 11 years since the Super Bowl and he has had plenty of crushing home playoff losses. (For some reason, his kickers go in the tank after New Year's.)

Fisher's quarterbacks are Kerry Collins and Vince Young. Therefore, I could very well see Fisher out of a job by January 10th.

Why is that important?

If Fisher raises a stink over this, he will be seen, by Pat Haden, as a "play by the rules" guy and a man of integrity - which I think he is. Unless Lane goes 11-1, Haden could see "Jeff Fisher" suddenly available and make a move. Cut "Carroll Lite" free and bring in an excellent coach and someone, in Fisher, who would represent USC at the highest level.

I think there is a greater force at work here than just another assistant coach who leaves before training camp. I think Fisher is eyeing a possible golden parachute.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Just another thought:
    USC is taking a hit on revenue via the probation. It will take a hit on attendance because it will not be an overly successful team this season.
    Kiffin is making $3 million to $4 million a year and that's a pretty hefty buyout.
    You present an interesting scenario, but it doesn't really seem feasible.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't think it has nearly as much to do with the services of Pola as it does just putting a smackdown on Kiffin.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

But, if over the life of a 5 or 6 year path of "Lane Kiffin" or "Jeff Fisher", spending $10 to get rid of Kiffin - if they go 8-4 and Kiffin continues to "bring dishonor" to USC - isn't that much money.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I like the way you think.

Haden has to have Kiffin on a very short leash. They've already been drilled by the NCAA and he inherited a head coach who not only worked for the guy who was running the show when the violations occurred but has already shown a penchant for playing fast and loose with the rules.

The LAST thing USC needs is another NCAA investigation. If Haden's not comfortable with Kiffin he'll be gone quick. Buying him out is cheaper than going on probation again.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The suit isn't about "this guy"; it's about principle.

And AQB, USC wouldn't go on probation again. One more finding of this magnitude and USC becomes SMU...

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I know that's possible but I don't think the NCAA will ever hand out the "Death Penalty" again.

If Baylor didn't get it basketball - and they were eligible for it - USC's not getting it in football.

Draft saved Draft deleted