1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just when you thought Lane Kiffin couldn't piss off anyone else ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He absolutely should have.

Of course the possibility exists this guy was Plan B.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

well presumably part of "Plan B" should have been to approach him through normal channels.

3. Armchair_QB

That should have been Plan A.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I hope you're right, Starman. I agree with your take on the NFL culture of arrogance. But if Kiffin does get blackballed, that would mean the even greater force of nepotism has lost. And what would the NFL be without daddies propping up their sons for jobs they don't deserve? Monte will cash every chit he can for Lane, who undoubtedly will find a cushy little gig with Pete Carroll or Jon Gruden. Maybe if Lane actually had to work for a job at some point instead of getting the spot as Leinart's chief jock-washer because of Pete's allegiance to Pops, he'd show a little more respect.

Every time I see/hear someone going off about the Rooney Rule, I think about the Lane Kiffins of the world (and the Mike Nolans, and the David Shulas, and the Rich McKays, and the Jeff Irelands, and on and on, you can find one on every coaching staff or front office) who have their jobs only because of their dads.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

From the AP story about the suit:

Sounds like there's legal merit for a suit. But as Armchair QB notes below, why is Pola not the target of the suit? Can Kiffin violate a contract he's not a party to? I guess one could argue that he enticed Pola to do it. Wonder if Saban would be inclined to call Kiffin a pimp ...

Ragu: Thanks for the clarification on the process of hiring Kiffin. I'd forgotten that all those guys turned them down (truth be told, I wasn't paying attention to USC at the time).

6. Armchair_QB

Not to defend Kiffin, but how was he to know that Pola's contract required that Pola get written permission from the Titans to seek other employment?

It sounds like Fisher should be suing his former assistant.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

AQB, The Titans are suing Pola for breach of contract. And all contracts say that. It's why whenever a team wants to interview someone still under contract you read something like, "Team A asked Team B for permission to interview Joe Blow."

This lawsuit isn't going to blow over either, probably, because in Fisher's mind, he got punked by Kiffin. Now it is an ego thing.

Pola was just hired this season, after Fisher dumped Ernest Byner, who was popular and helped develop Chris Johnson. Then Pola skips after a few months, leaves the Titans in the lurch a week before training camp and it gets done without a courtesy call? I am sure in Fisher's mind, it makes him look like a bitch. I would bet the Titans go to the mattresses with this lawsuit.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Just like Michael Vick will never play in the league again.

In regards to sports these are silly statements, haven't we seen time and again the collective amnesia teams get? All it takes is one team.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, JC is right. It takes just one league exec with some pull to offer a retread yet one more chance.

And good for Jeff Fisher. There's a protocol which the others follow. I'm guessing Fisher would have given his blessing had Kiffin simply followed that protocol and placed a courtesy call. Kiffin can't help but be a brazen fool, and Pat Haden is probably taking good notes.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If Haden hasn't already called Kiffin into his office, I'd be shocked.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Who's gonna be that one team? The Raiders?

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Who was going to be that one team for Vick?

Draft saved Draft deleted