1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just when you thought Lane Kiffin couldn't piss off anyone else ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 26, 2010.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5407023

USC alum Jeff Fisher says his hiring process is unprofessional. To which I ask, why should that be different from anything else Kiffin does?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't doubt that Kiffin laid another turd, but do coaches really contact other coaches/schools/ADs before talking to people on their staff or do they just do it when they are getting ready to offer that person?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think the problem is that he stole Fisher's RB coach two weeks before training camp begins. Most coaches would do it with a bit more class. What's worse, though, is that Fisher played at USC. A couple of phone calls and some smoothing over of things, rather than leaving a guy with USC roots high and dry, was certainly in order. Instead, now Kiffin has one of the most respected coaches out there bitching about his professionalism in public, when he is the head coach of a program that happens to have a few perception problems at the moment. You're right about Kiffin laying a turd. It was a pretty big turd. Anyone with a modicum of sense would have reached out BEFORE going poaching from a guy with USC roots this close to the season.

4. novelist_wannabe

The timing sucks unequivocably. But I think Ace has a valid question. That whole permission to interview someone on your staff thing is a nice notion, but I'm prone to wonder just how prevalent it is. I would think not very. Maybe Fisher was unhappy with any number of things at his alma mater -- I wonder if he wanted the job after Carroll left? -- and this was a convenient thing to snipe about. Doesn't make him less of a jerk, but Kiffin's an easy target that way.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Regarding the thread title, there should never be a time to think Lane Kiffin couldn't piss off anyone else. That little shit lives to piss people off.

6. novelist_wannabe

Hey, it's in blue ...

7. The Big Ragu

Novelist, Fisher was the first or second guy on USC's list when Carroll left. He told them he had no interest right up front. So did at least three or four other guys, including Jack Del Rio, Mike Riley and Steve Sarkisian (who unlike Kiffin didn't take the job, because he didn't want to leave U of W after just one year) before they hired Lane Kiffin, presumably because they couldn't go another day without hiring SOMEONE.

This is all about the timing. There is little honor or loyalty when hires are being made in January and February, even if there is a protocol for doing certain things -- and you do ask for permission. If this was NFL to NFL, this would have been tampering. So yeah, the "asking for permission" thing is really that prevalent. It's just protocol.

Even with that said, the timing is what makes this such a dick move. If a coach like Pola has a chance to jump from NFL position coach to OC at USC, of course it is natural for him to make the move. If it was a normal time to be making hires, no one would have expected Kiffin to kiss Fisher's ring -- although at least a quick phone call BEFORE the fact, would have been in order. But even worse, we are two weeks ahead of Fisher's training camp. Fisher has USC roots. USC is having perception problems right now. There is a reason why Kiffin is making such an important hire a week before his players come back. Todd McNair is gone at USC because of the NCAA sanctions. With all of that as the backdrop, it's a PR disaster for USC, and Kiffin once again really comes off as an asshole who is actually trying to burn bridges. Even if Pola wasn't the guy Kiffin wanted, and he somehow got foisted on Kiffin, as the face of USC's program now, Kiffin has to pick up the phone and try to smooth things over with Fisher.

Fisher would have been pissed, but he would have kept it to himself. A voice mail after the fact with this set of circumstances was a pretty dick move. Fisher really would prefer not to be taking shots at his alma mater. This was that shitty, though.

8. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

Apparently Fisher is really pissed:

Titans sue Lane Kiffin, USC for poaching assistant
    By TERESA M. WALKER
    AP Sports Writer
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The Tennessee Titans are suing Southern California and coach Lane Kiffin for “maliciously” luring away assistant running backs coach Kennedy Pola a week before training camp opens.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Nice.

10. The Big Ragu

They took a guy who used to be one of the biggest rah rah USC guys on earth in Fisher, and got him to sue them. Lane Kiffin really does have the magic touch, doesn't he?

I'm not sure what legal merit suing has, but Pola was under contract. I suspect they can sue him successfully for breach of contract. I'm not sure about USC. But if this was two NFL teams, it would have been tampering / some serious compensation.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

This is the basis for suing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tortious_interference

It was foolish not to approach the Titans first.

12. The Big Ragu

Thanks frantic. Whatever tortious inteference is in English I can understand, it's my new favorite term.

Draft saved Draft deleted