1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just when it seemed Reggie Bush had hit rock bottom...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Boldly going where no posters have gone before.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

I can't believe it took 23 posts to get to that ... nicely done.

3. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Today's vocabulary word is "pretext." Let's have a look at the definition (Source: Google -- http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&defl=en&q=define:pretext&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title):

* something serving to conceal plans; a fictitious reason that is concocted in order to conceal the real reason
    - - -

Use the vocabulary word in a sentence:

Lloyd Lake may, in the days to come, claim he wants to help the NCAA seek justice in the USC/Reggie Bush investigation(s). However, many might consider such a statement merely a pretext which would serve to hide Lake's true motives.
    - - -

I don't think I'll be needing any bolding in this post.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think the overall sociological implications of the NCAA's investigation prove that it would have been wise for Bush to quit his association with Lloyd Lake and New Era Sports and Entertainment and focus every fiber of his being on his football career. Or perhaps he should have signed with a a reputable sports agenty such as a NFL-experienced agent or MLB's Dick Moss who might have given his advice or that could have kept this whole issue from coming to a head.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

6. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Props to ondeadline, Oggiedoggie.

Oggie, is your middle name 'Ben'?

I'm thinking "Hardware Wars" here.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Sorry, I realize many here might not know to what I am referring when I mention "Hardware Wars:"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_Wars

The character "Oggie Ben Doggie" is the Hardware Wars equivalent of Star Wars' Obi-Wan Kenobi.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Is there a smiley for a moderator who wants to hang himself?

9. Beautiful.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Ok, the Wiki entry for Hardware Wars spells it differently, so I'll connect all of the dots here for those not interested in 30-year-old film references (are we listening, Bill Simmons?):

The character "Oggie Ben Doggie" is the Hardware Wars equivalent of Star Wars' Obi-Wan Kenobi.

(Wiki's version is "Augie Ben Doggie")

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Take your pick ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The first one sums up this thread perfectly. The last one sometimes summarizes my feelings. Luckily I have the police coming to pick me up in an hour and take me drinking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.