1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just what the world needs: Cell phone service atop Mount Everest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I fear the day when every inch of the planet is within cell phone range...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071113/ap_on_hi_te/china_everest_cell_station_1

2. Mt. Everest is one of my pet peeves.
    Every few months there is a story about somebody climbing Mt. Everest. BIg F'N DEAL!
    Yes, it's a huge mountain. I. Get. It.
    But all these Caucasian climbers think its some major to do when ascend the summit.
    Nevermind the fucking Sherpas who got them there have mounted that mother fucker more than a drunk sorority chick after a keg party.
    The god damned Sherpas have guide services all over Kathmandu... what's the big deal with climbing Everest? I hope this cell phone thing ends the mystique.

rant over

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It'll rip your lungs out, Jim.

Read Krakauer.

4. I stand with him in reagrd to the commercialization of Everest.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

True. But K2 is much more difficult and dangerous.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Haul your ass up it. Then bitch about it. Until then, STFU.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Line in the book that really struck me (I guess because I'd never thought about it before):

He's near the top and mentions that he's standing above where 747s are flying.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Hey honey it's me. Yeah I changed my mind. This climb's a whore. Can you come pick me up?"

9. I'm NOT saying I could do it ...
    My point is that sherpas climb the thing all the time...so why is it a big deal when non-sherpas do it?

Quietly go piss off.

10. Phhptt. Get back to me when they put a McD's up there. Then maybe I'll climb up there, and by climb I mean take a cab.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No one will believe you climbed the mountain without a picture message. Duh.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I think maybe I'd want an iPod with me, so I could have a soundtrack going up.

Draft saved Draft deleted