1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just shut up and work, Tuscaloosa police ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Dec 15, 2015.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The University of Alabama is the only SEC school which does not reimburse its city's police department for working home football games. And the Tuscaloosa Police Department shelled out $544,459.50 in overtime pay for it in 2014.

Alabama football has been getting millions in free policing on gameday

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The Tuscaloosa cops are probably lucky they don't have to pay for tickets or parking to the game.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Tuscaloosa Police Department would be happy to reimburse them.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Alabama isn't alone when it comes to non-campus law enforcement working game days. The difference, at least in the Southeastern Conference, is that Alabama's the only one not paying for it.

I expect the other 13 programs to stop paying, because they need to compete with Alabama.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Ole Miss got into a little bit of a kerfuffle recently when an off-duty cop hired for security roughed up a drunk, obnoxious fan at the OM-LSU game. His family posted photos of him with cuts, bruises and a black eye, claiming that was the cop's doing. Oxford police fired back by releasing his booking photo that showed considerably less damage, and hinting that the more severe injuries in the family's photo came after the kid ran his mouth in the jail and got his ass kicked by a jailhouse regular.

Yeah, yeah, I know. A drunk, obnoxious fan at an Ole Miss game? Unpossible!

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

My former brother-in-law pays for Christmas with the OT he gets working at his local SEC stadium on gamedays.

Shit, my church, we have an annual festival, we pay three cops to be there every day.

The fact that Alabama doesn't pay anything is remarkable. I wonder who engineered that deal?

Draft saved Draft deleted