1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just say no to Yes Man

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Dec 26, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Yes Man, the Jim Carrey "comedy" has some highlights and it is one of those movies that could have been so much better, with not much more effort, but that effort isn't there so save your $9.
    Wait for the dollar theater, or the DVD.
    I wasn't expecting an Oscar winner, I knew what it was getting, but it follows that Carrey formula too closely and I just think Carrey is too old for the part or Zooey Deschanel (SP) is too young.
    I couldn't decide which and the idea that drives the script isn't awful, but the execution is lacking.
    Even though I did like the side trip to Lincoln, Neb., the idea behind it was funny.
    And I liked the ending, but I won't spoil it here. Or at least not yet.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Or maybe Jim Carrey just isn't funny.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I really liked Yes Man.

You know, the first time I saw it. When it was called Liar Liar.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What was Carrey's last hit? It's been awhile.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Bruce Almighty?

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

With a Jim Carrey movie, you pretty much know what you're getting when you head in there. To expect anything else is foolish. Either you like his antics or you don't. Choose your movie-going experience as applicable.

7. Mizzougrad96

That was probably it. I hated that movie. Funny for 30 minutes. Horseshit for the rest.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The $9 is worth it just to see the concert from Munchausen By Proxy. Even more so when the in-laws spring for movie tickets.

9. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Yep.

$242M US take, $484 worldwide.

And an absolutely shitty movie.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was good. And that was Zooey singing. She released an album earlier this year that the music nerds at Paste just loved.
    What wasn't cool was watching my 70-year-old mother close her eyes during Carrey's sex scene with an old woman. As far from cool as one can be.

11. Mizzougrad96

I think Fun With Dick and Jane did well at the box office even though it sucked.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I made much the same point Jay made about this movie in the holiday movie thread. Little effort made to flesh out the side characters, so when Carrey's character got caught up in the inevitable side stories with them, we had no reason to care or basis to cheer for one choice over the other, except in cases where one had bigger bewbs than the other.

And Jim Carrey's ideal role right now would be Jim Carrey's older brother. But unless there's some stock footage from the 90's floating around and the guy who did the Fred Astaire dancing with a vacuum commercial is available, it's not going to happen for a while -- there's no obvious choice to fill the Carrey spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted