1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just say no to Gore and condoms

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jan 15, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is a D_B
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/299253_inconvenient11.html
    Inconvenient
    The gist, parent complains about "An Inconvenient Truth" being shown at school. The school pulls it.
    The money quote...
    "Condoms don't belong in school, and neither does Al Gore. He's not a schoolteacher," said Frosty Hardison, a parent of seven who also said that he believes the Earth is 14,000 years old. "The information that's being presented is a very cockeyed view of what the truth is. ... The Bible says that in the end times everything will burn up, but that perspective isn't in the DVD."

From the story
    Here are all the people who say global warming is right: American Meteorological Society, the American Geophysical Union, the American Association for the Advancement of Science and the National Academy of Sciences.

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Ok kids, now that you've gotten a look at what life was like for Jews during the holocaust, please allow me to present skinhead Gavin Watson. Mr. Watson will let you know first hand why he believes the holocaust never happened....

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

So does Frosty want someone to teach the perspective that Global Warming doesn't exist or that Global Warming is God's punishment for our sins and that its a sign that the end of times are on the way?

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

So, which one of you is going to be happy when your 15 year old daughter brings home a box of generic rubbers?

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I can't recall hearing about any studies that say condoms in schools encourage sexual activity.

6. three_bags_full

Oh, my.

No, it encourages safe sexual activity.

7. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I feel sorry for fundamentalist nutjobs like this guy. We get, on average 75-80 years of consciousness awarded to us. Before - nothing. After - (most likely) nothing.

To waste it swallowing hocus-pocus b.s. ... it's sad. People like Frosty just piss me off because they devalue life on earth and what I feel are our top ethical obligations - stewardship of our planet and of our species.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Maybe Al could update it.

But if we're all gonna burn up, what the hell's the point?

Damn liberal education systems.

9. Which one of you is going to be happy when your 15-year old daughter brings home an STD, or the HPV, or the HIV?
    You got to love any issue where you're on the other side of a guy named Frosty.

10. three_bags_full

Why not teach abstenince (sp?), rather than hand out rubbers? Does it not work well enough.

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

They should teach both.

But the problem creeps in when the social conservatives try to take it a step too far and tie abstinence to morals, losing the safety message. It's like they can't help themselves. They see the opening to preach that sex is bad, and they go for it, thereby sabotaging the important message. Because the majority of kids at that age, hormones raging, are going to think, "How can this be morally wrong? Sure doesn't feel like it. They're full of shit."

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Abstenince works, but it just isn't practiced. There's only an entire world of evidence ranging from Africa, to the high teen birthrates in holy little Lubbock, Texas that proves that. People want to fuck. Sometimes often. You can tell them not to, but they just won't listen. Haven't listened for decades. Won't start now.

Draft saved Draft deleted