1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just saw Hard Candy, have a question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ellis Redding, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Who is the chick? I know her name is Ellen Page, but what is she in the movie? It's never addressed. Is she a friend of that murdered girl Donna? Donna's sister? It was such a great movie, but it's really frustrating not knowing who she was. Can anyone help me out?

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

She mentions knowing the murdered girl, as if they were friends.
    But you can't be sure of anything she tells the guy.
    You're supposed to wonder.
    Great movie.

3. So it's supposed to be like Marcellus Wallace's briefcase? OK.

Still frustrating, though. A phenomenal movie nonetheless.

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I don't know what else triggered, methinks it was too much deep dish, but i started sweating profusely and had to leave the room during "the" scene (I don't want to ruin the surprise, but those who have scene it will know of what i speak). It was amazingly tense. The funniest part of the movie? That Sandra Oh had top billing on the box. I think her real house must be next door.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I kind of took it that they were perhaps acquaintances of some sort?

Great movie. "Misery" for the Internet age.

Also reminds me of a great Sarah Silverman joke:

A pedophile and a child are walking into the woods. The child says, 'I'm scared.' The pedophile says, 'You think that you're scared? I'm the one who has to walk back alone!'

6. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

That's a pretty fucked up movie.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Incredible movie... One of the best I saw last year...

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

It was a fantastic movie. When I saw it, I was completely drawn in. That's unusual for me unless I'm actually at the theater.

9. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I read this whole thread thinking it was about "Strangers with Candy." You can imagine how confused I was.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Our critic liked it overall, but he thought the setting was too static. He said it made him feel like he was watching a play.
    Personally, I liked it. You couldn't get away from the increasingly disturbing situation. There were no distractions. And you're constantly questioning the two characters and their motivations through the movie.
    And I enjoy movies that leave questions for the audience to resolve.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Finally got around to watching it today. Fantastic movie. I see what Buck's critic was saying about the setting being too static, but with a good movie, that can work OK. Phone Booth was the same way (fortunately, they kept that one short).

Definitely a disturbing flick and one that Chris Hansen should show to all those creeps who show up at the Dateline house before letting them get arrested.

I have to thank the good folks at SportsJournalists.com for the recommendation. I bought it awhile back without knowing much, if anything, about it and I'm glad I finally watched it.

12. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Hard Candy summarized in 3 & 1/2 minutes from Sleater Kinny

Draft saved Draft deleted