1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just ran my first marathon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Apr 7, 2013.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I hope I get to experience that someday.

Congratulations, Joe.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Congrats. This is something I really want to do. ... and still haven't. You are the man.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Congrats. How did your nipples hold up?

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

No rubbing. In today's world of microfiber wicking shirts, that doesn't seem to be a problem (at least for me). It's not like running in a cotton.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Congrats! You're right; the "I did it" sense of accomplishment is awesome. Well done.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Good stuff Joe! I ran my first half in October, but I don't plan on doing a full any time soon. It takes some serious commitment to train for a half. A full? Lotta 4 a.m. wake-up calls I would imagine.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I had the exact same feeling. Fucking runners.

Oh, and congrats and shit.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Congrats! I've done two. First one I threw up at 22 miles and had to quit. For seven years, that haunted me. Finished the second one.

Do you still have all 10 toenails? I lost three the day doing 26.2.

Superb time. Be proud!!

Since crossing that off my life list, I've switched to 10k and a Half marathon every couple of years. Not doing the full marathon again. Ever.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

10. Shoeless Joe

I didn't have 10 when I started!

I think after doing one, I'll be content with doing halves and 10Ks, etc. The race itself wasn't the worst part. It was the hours of lonely training. On race day, there was so much going on to distract you and the thought of actually accomplishing it to keep you going. 17-18-mile solo training runs -- especially the one I was forced to do on a treadmill -- sucked donkey balls.

11. Shoeless Joe

Yes, for the last six months there hasn't been a day go by that running 26.2 miles on April 7 wasn't among the main things on my mind. Whether it was training, what I sat down to eat, days I didn't run but knew I should, etc., it was pretty consuming.

If I ever do decide to do another one, which I don't know that I ever will, I'll pick a race in Dec or Jan instead of April. That way, you're biggest training months are in the fall instead of February.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Way to go, Joe!

Draft saved Draft deleted