1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just pulled this week's SI out of the mailbox

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Sep 14, 2011.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I hate regional and alternate covers, normally, but I'm looking forward to seeing Justin Verlander in my mailbox tomorrow (my SI rarely gets delivered on Wednesday).

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I see what you did there.

Really hated this week's cover, and I try not to be a fuddy-duddy with such things. It's a trying-too-hard headline and the photo (Sanchez scrambling/looking downfield, defender a couple yards behind) is absolutely nothing special for an SI cover. Want to put that headline with Rob Ryan's crazy hair? That's at least a try at packaging.

3. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I hate, hate, hate, hate it. I am hardly a prude but SI simply has to be better than that, plain and simple. You can't put that on your cover. It's the magazine my 13- and 10-year-old boys read. Do they say the word, "ass"? Most likely. But I'm going to try to discourage it or at least talk to them about appropriate language. Cover of SI? Come on.

We listen to KFAN in the car from time to time and "ass" gets used a lot. Sometimes I can live with it, and there is a time and a place. But some, like Paul Allen, uses it gratuitously all the time. Not that I enjoy listening to him much anyway, and I'm probably not his core audience but time and place, people! Sports Illustrated? Come on.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Not only is the headline stupid they screwed up the cover choice. Should have been Michigan-Notre Dame.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Eh, not sure about that. Michigan Stadium under the lights was cool, but it was merely an entertaining game with two mediocre teams. NFL Week 1 is pretty tough to argue against, though they could have done it better in any number of ways -- Chicago? Baltimore? My 1-0 Cincinnati Bengals? (heh)

6. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

It reminded me of a kid tattling to his parents that his brother just said "shit," simply to get away with saying "shit" in front of his parents.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Bravo, Kato! I also have a problem with commercials using curse words. Shit, I cuss all the time, which my daughter will probably pick up soon to her mother's horror, but come on. There is never a need to use curse words — even mild ones like "hell" and "damn" — in advertising. It shows a stunning lack of imagination and sophistication. If you can't get your message across without resorting to curse words, you're not smart enough to get my business. And, in the end, I just find it distasteful.

8. I agree 100 percent. I think it carries over to TV and movies as well. I was watching an episode of Rizzoli and Isles on TNT the other night and it seemed they forced a few curse words in for no good reason.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Concur. It's weak and lame. And using quote (and question) heds is a bad crutch. Show some creativity.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

C'mon, SI would never do that.

(Would they?)

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Bingo.

First night game ever trumps Sanchez.

Headline (if ND-UM) was on the cover should have been "HELL OF A NIGHT"

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's the first weekend of the NFL season, that's gotta be the cover. A good case could be made for picking the wrong game, unless SI got hooked up in 9/11 hoopla and felt they needed to be in the NYC area.

Draft saved Draft deleted