1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just pulled this week's SI out of the mailbox

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think "The Chase Begins" is OK.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I think a smaller image wouldn't take 2 minutes to load.

4. Not a fan.

Not clever, no matter how fascinating the Ryan brothers explanation is.

Also, I'm on a high-speed connection and that photo took an hour and a half to load.

5. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

It's wishy-washy. They want to sound hipster, juvenile and borderline vulgar to compete with publications (and networks) that sell that sort of thing, then they wash their hands of it by throwing in the disclaimer and blaming the Ryan brothers.

Without having read the story -- my issue usually comes in the mail on Thursday -- I have no problem with quoting the Ryans like that, but to splash it on the cover while distancing yourself from it sends a mixed message.

Bet they sell a few more on the newsstand, though.

6. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

I don't know what they're talking about from the cover blurb. So it looks like they just wanted to print "Ass" on the cover to seem hip.

And there's this conversation:
    Graphics Dude: "What do you think? It's kickin'."
    Editor: "We can't print ass on our cover."
    Graphics: "It's in a frickin' quote."
    Ed: "Oh. Right. Okay then."

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

SI wasn't always so hip.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

They'll use the same headline next week when Glen Rice sits down for a cover story on recent revelations.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

My goodness that's a horrible headline. Plus, the Mayweather fight on the front?

10. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

(The brother will explain)

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I don't disagree but SI's never been a place for great headlines on the cover. The inside pieces have had some classics and are always pretty good. The cover's never been a place for great creativity. It was the magazine that simply said YIPPEE after the Cowboys defeated the Broncos in the Super Bowl.

SI has thousands of classic stories. But take a tour through the Vault and you won't see a whole lot of classic cover lines.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

SI's best-ever headline was the one that ran on the Miracle on Ice cover in 1980.

Draft saved Draft deleted