1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just pick someone already

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 22, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Are you counting to inauguration day? Because that would be five months. Or four months, 29 days.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Nope. A better day.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Biden and Romney BOTH odds-on at Intrade, now . . . each at their highest prices, to date.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So would you prefer that the folks at home got their info strictly from the newspaper in the morning, and Uncle Walter in the evening?

What's 'important' is purely objective to any given network or viewer. The 24 hour news cycle isn't designed for people to sit and glaze over watching nonstop for 24 hours. It's designed for anyone to tune in at any time, and find out if there's news that's interesting/important, and stay with it if they choose. Otherwise, there's the remote control.

I just can't understand the downside of anything that engages people in news, especially if you are in the business of collecting and distributing news.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think Buck's point, and it was mine, is that we're all just sitting here making up news and speculating. We're rehashing stories told over and over again with nothing new for days, except an occasional, but really meaningless, quote. There's no news going on. We're just making news to say we have news.

6. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Canadian talking here, so take it for what it's worth: The identity of the vice president is more important this year because, in McCain's case, he's 71 years old and had three bouts of skin cancer. The guy might have to go to work.
    In Obama's case: there may be some loon out there who gets it in his crazy mind that no black man is going to run his country. It's an ugly undercurrent to the race, but, just as there are people who won't vote for him because he's black; there might be somebody out there who would take a shot at him because he is.

Or is that naive or ignorant on my part? If so, I apologize in advance.

7. Flying Headbutt

I think as much as anything else it's important because of the influence that office has had these last eight years. I just hate the way the story has played out these past few days. It's been childish and lame.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I get that....agreed. And if the folks at home were bored, they'd tune out. In the case of Obama, they're not tuning out.

My issue is with the comment that the 24-hour news cycle is a 'self-defeating prophecy,' although I'm not really sure what that means. There's nothing self-defeating about immediate access to the news industry, and that's my point. Every person out there who calls him/herself a 'news junkie' is a win for us.

9. Flying Headbutt

I think all three of us agree on all the same points. Shots for everyone?

10. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

It doesn't matter who Obama picks. He'll still be in trouble.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

FWIW,

MSNBC says KMBC is full of shit and that Bayh is out. Biden's peeps think he's the guy.

Carry on.

12. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

We've already come to the conclusion that the bumper sticker was so ugly there was no way it was real.

Draft saved Draft deleted