1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Just pick someone already

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 22, 2008.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I'm not sure it's quite up to that scale.

Even though it doesn't look legit, there's an awful lot of smoke for there to be no fire there.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Seems like that company was jumping the gun in case BO does pick Bayh. They could sell an awful lot of bumper stickers before the official ones come out.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

It also wouldn't surprise me if it was orchestrated to gauge the response if it was Bayh.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I really don't think it's going to be Bayh.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's me.

We threw the extra "a" in there to throw people off.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Six months.

7. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Five months, 29 days.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

What's wrong with going behind the curtain and sitting in a smoke-filled room and brokering a deal to make someone a Veep? ;)

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

In sports, it was the Brett Favre retirement saga. It's merely space kill for newspapers, and just more grist for the mills at CNN when they don't have a spare camera aimed at a fireman pulling a kitten down from a tree.

Nothing less, nothing more ... on the bright side, if we're barking about it, that should mean that nothing else catastrophic is happening. Thank goodness if that continues to be the case.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Methinks Bill Belichick is advising Obama on how to handle this announcement.

Next up: Bayh limps thru the streets of Topeka!

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

And suddenly, life is better.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Can't disagree with any of your other points -- it's definitely revolutionized information and more people are talking about the election. Those are good things.

That said, my issue with the 24-hour news cycle is exactly what ServeItUp said: It's a lot of making news where there is none. And when there is news, there's often little time to digest the news because, dammit, we have to speculate on the next news.

But mostly, there is no news -- and yet, as Headbutt said, we in the media act like impatient little children with all this "Are we there yet? ... How about now? ... NOW?"

The 24-hour news cycle, while positive in other ways, is to blame for that. We lose all perspective on what's important, because the only thing that's important is NOW. I don't think that's a good thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted